1/8 Broach???

the only way I know of to lessen the tooth load is to grind a slight taper on the back of the broach.

Guys look what showed up today,sad but case has little damage on one side and one corner is crack.This was pack very well,UPS had work hard to damage it.Oh well I’ll try straightening it out just deal with it.I’m glad the I spent little extra money this will cover all I’ll ever do or need.Tomorrow I’ll start on broaching and apply all this new knowledge I have.Thanks to all see y’all at my project post

Attachments

• CDE6E1A7-F0D0-4C3D-9ABE-41BD2BCA8ABA.jpeg
    CDE6E1A7-F0D0-4C3D-9ABE-41BD2BCA8ABA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • C49C4FB4-7AFD-42D3-AE89-BA51285D2E58.jpeg
    C49C4FB4-7AFD-42D3-AE89-BA51285D2E58.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I bought a quality used set a while back and instantly regretted not doing so sooner. Enjoy :)

the only way I know of to lessen the tooth load is to grind a slight taper on the back of the broach.

If one is stuck with a fixed taper angle broach, and one wants to reduce the tooth load without modifying the broach, would it be possible to just use a tapered shim or a tapered guide? This could be a drag with a deep hole, but one can do a lot with a file, a straightedge, and a quiet evening sheltered in place. :boxed in:

I don't think a tapered guide would work.
A tapered shim the length of the broach would work if it was the length of the broach and pressed thru with it. Most likely will break the shim.

Guys look what showed up today,sad but case has little damage on one side and one corner is crack.This was pack very well,UPS had work hard to damage it.Oh well I’ll try straightening it out just deal with it.I’m glad the I spent little extra money this will cover all I’ll ever do or need.Tomorrow I’ll start on broaching and apply all this new knowledge I have.Thanks to all see y’all at my project post

I would give Shars a call explaining the problem. Also take a few pictures of the damage. They will cover damage to products whether they are defective or damaged in transit. I've had a couple instances where they sent me new parts, one was a part for a 5C collet stand and the other was a damaged box for a gauge block set. They asked for pictures and quickly sent out replacement pieces. In both cases they didn't want the damaged parts returned. In cases where they do want something returned they will pay the return freight.

Projectnut-Thanks I will do just that. I took some pics of the damage area's and the box itself. Sent it to them using sales@shars.com address. One of the things I didn't mention is the support foam for the bushings.It looks like someone with long finger nails were showing this to customers. So maybe it was a floor model set. Which I did mention that in email with pics of the foam. I'm not much of a complainer,but this is little to much,so I hope they make it rightbox6.jpg

Well so far they want to give me a 10.00 refund,said that they do not have any of these cases.That's not the answer I wanted to hear,so I ask about just sending the whole set back.Waiting for response back:(

I'm not sure I would worry... I don't see the marks in that material to necessarily mean this is an open box/demo. That material (if it is the stuff I think it is) manages to get that effect almost immediately when handled at the factory.

The case your set came in is far different than mine. Mine is just a wooden box with the appropriate slots and holes for broaches and bushings. No cushioning other than the wood itself. I wonder why they changed?

Back