1/2” Shank Cutter Height Issue - Shars QCTP on Grizzly G4000 Lathe

I appreciate all this great advise from all of you guys! I’ve learned heaps today! Really cool. Glad to join the forum and learn from all of you.

I think I’m going to grab some 3/8” cutters and test out pulling the tool post off of that 4 bolt mount. Definitely appreciate knowing 3/8’s cutters will be plenty okay for this machine. I also want to find one of those sliding milling vices for lathes so I can at least to some basic milling on smaller parts.

I do like the idea of the XL took holder too so I can at least use the 1/2” ones maybe. Had no idea they existed.

It’s not a huge deal if that doesn’t pan out. Can always try to recoup a couple of bucks by selling them on CL or BookFace Marketplace.

I do want that Mill now though!! Not sure how I’m gonna swing it…but me wants it!

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Palmgren 250 that came with my lathe, never used.....
Had my mill/drill before the lathe.......

I appreciate all this great advise from all of you guys! I’ve learned heaps today! Really cool. Glad to join the forum and learn from all of you.

I think I’m going to grab some 3/8” cutters and test out pulling the tool post off of that 4 bolt mount. Definitely appreciate knowing 3/8’s cutters will be plenty okay for this machine. I also want to find one of those sliding milling vices for lathes so I can at least to some basic milling on smaller parts.

I do like the idea of the XL took holder too so I can at least use the 1/2” ones maybe. Had no idea they existed.

It’s not a huge deal if that doesn’t pan out. Can always try to recoup a couple of bucks by selling them on CL or BookFace Marketplace.

I do want that Mill now though!! Not sure how I’m gonna swing it…but me wants it!

giphy.gif

If you need, mount the part in a tool holder and an end mill in the chuck.
Not accurate, but works for some things.

emoji23.png

giphy.gif
Uh oh ........................................a few of us will help you out for sure ! :grin: Welcome to H-M and the rabbit hole .

If you got some cutters with the lathe what size are those? If not you could call the seller and ask them what they have been using. I have a 400 and have never had a problem with the 3/8 cutters. I would not suggest removing that plate but thats up to you. I have done many upgrades to my 4000 and have been very happy with it, it does what I need it to do. Good luck with your new machine.

Do you have a 4 jaw chuck for your lathe? If so, you can machine the bottom end of the AXA tool holder off in your lathe. Use a 3/8" tool with carbide, as the tool holder might be hardened. I had a similar problem on my Grizzly G0752Z, the compound is 0.047" too high. I machined off 0.050" off the bottom of my Aloris AXA tool holder, and everything just works now.

If you don't have a 4 jaw chuck, you should get one when the opportunity arises. You need one for second operations and for handling rectangular stock. Normal 3 jaw chucks have enough runout that removing the work piece pretty much guarantees you are not on the same center line as before.

If you got some cutters with the lathe what size are those? If not you could call the seller and ask them what they have been using. I have a 400 and have never had a problem with the 3/8 cutters. I would not suggest removing that plate but thats up to you. I have done many upgrades to my 4000 and have been very happy with it, it does what I need it to do. Good luck with your new machine.

I wish it did come with cutters. Tried asking the seller if he’d toss in some cutters but he wanted to hang on to the set he had.

Thank you for the thoughts on the plate and the well wishes! I know it’s supposed to add in some rigidity from what I understand. I’m cool with it being there as long as it doesn’t cause problems learning or getting things done. I’m definitely up for learning about more of those 4000 mods!

Uh oh ........................................a few of us will help you out for sure ! :grin: Welcome to H-M and the rabbit hole .

Thanks for the welcome man! It’s going to be fun but definitely see the giant hole up ahead for sure

:D Don’t threaten me with a good time! Hahahaha! You’re right though. The gear acquisition syndrome symptoms are strong right now.

Ok cool. Thank you for that info! Still so new I fell into the bigger is automatically better trap.

bigger is better in machining, but some of us are trapped with small space, or basements.. so we are the guys with the midget sized tools.

Back