1/2” Shank Cutter Height Issue - Shars QCTP on Grizzly G4000 Lathe

Also a good idea too! I like it. Grateful for all this advice from all you guys. Appreciate it very much.

I saw online there are vertical, sliding vices for doing some milling on the lathe but wasn’t sure if that was worth pursuing until I can wrangle up some dough for a used Mill.

Going to test posting some pics here in this reply. I’m new to this Tapatalk app so I apologize if any replies are janky. Still learning how to use it instead of the browser.

IMG_4450.jpg
IMG_4449.jpg
IMG_4448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easier to get a bigger lathe, problem solved :grin:

Lose the spacer.

I thought about trying that as an experiment putting it back to stock essentially. But then I started wondering if going back to stock and using 1/2” shank cutters was better or worse than with the 4 bolt plate and 3/8” shank cutters. I’m still so green that not sure which would be the better choice for the majority of basic, learning and day-to-day tasks.

What do you think?

I thought about trying that as an experiment putting it back to stock essentially. But then I started wondering if going back to stock and using 1/2” shank cutters was better or worse than with the 4 bolt plate and 3/8” shank cutters. I’m still so green that not sure which would be the better choice for the majority of basic, learning and day-to-day tasks.

What do you think?

I hava an AXA sitting diectly on the compound of my SB9c, 1947 vintage, works just fine.

ETA: I use 3/8 HSS cutters, no need for 1/2 " on a 9" machine.

I hava an AXA sitting diectly on the compound of my SB9c, 1947 vintage, works just fine.

ETA: I use 3/8 HSS cutters, no need for 1/2 " on a 9" machine.
Totally agree with Jim - your 9" lathe is not rigid or powerful enough to bend a 3/8" tool under max load so go with 3/8" tooling. My Emco Super 11 lathe is very rigid for its size and has 2 real HP; it can take a 0.25" deep cut in steel (0.50" off the diameter) with a 3/8" square HSS tool. While I also have 1/2" tools in HSS and inserts, I never need to use them.

Another option is to use an XL tool holder. They hold up to 5/8" in AXA, but more important for your case, they do so by coming from the factory with a wider slot, which lowers the whole tool a bit.
Standard Shars AXA toolholder: 0.438" off bottom
XL toolholder: 0.375

I would suggest using 3/8" tooling for any future purchases, but get a couple of the XL toolholderss so you can use the 1/2" pieces you have.

Or buy the mill ;)

Another option is to use an XL tool holder. They hold up to 5/8" in AXA, but more important for your case, they do so by coming from the factory with a wider slot, which lowers the whole tool a bit.
Standard Shars AXA toolholder: 0.438" off bottom
XL toolholder: 0.375

I would suggest using 3/8" tooling for any future purchases, but get a couple of the XL toolholderss so you can use the 1/2" pieces you have.

Or buy the mill ;)
Not going to fix his problem.
His compound is raised up too high.

Back