1/2” Shank Cutter Height Issue - Shars QCTP on Grizzly G4000 Lathe

wilkerd1

Registered
Registered
Forum and machining noob here. Double whammy. Got a very strong welding and carpentry background, but machining is a new venture for me.

I purchased a second hand Grizzly G4000 lathe (9”x19” I believe). It came with a QCTP from Shars which I believe is AXA sized. He also fabricated a 4 bolt plate underneath to stiffen it up. Saw a video about that after I brought the lathe home.

The tool holders will support up to 1/2” cutters so that’s what I bought. When I went to set the cutter height using one of the centers, I had the tool holder as far down as it would go and it was still approximately 1/16” or less too high with no more runway.

So as a learner bee at the moment it seems as if the AXA sized QCTP is a tad too big and it’s going to prevent me from using the 1/2” shank cutters even though the holders support that shank size. Is that correct? Should I buy 3/8” shank cutters to add in the little bit extra height adjustments needed? I’ve seen in another forum online where someone had a similar issue. The advice generally was smaller shank cutters or having the tool holders machined to be smaller in height.

Kind of looking for the best approach forward and some advice. I would prefer not to mod my tool holders because then it has to be done every time I buy additional. Plus I don’t have a mill in my weld shop. Will 3/8” cutters make a massive difference to the work - negatively - due to being less rigid? I hate that I spent $100 on a set of 1/2” shank cutters that can’t be used. Worst case I can put them up for sale online. Not a huge loss more annoying really. Ideally I would like to be able to use them though.

Anyway, I appreciate any advise. Excited to finally learn how to do lathe work. It will be a heck of a learning curve but fun no less. Just want to keep the expensive mistakes to as dull a roar as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with 3/8" tool bits. You could shim the tool post up a bit, but you might lose a little rigidity.

Thank you Bill! I appreciate the fast reply and advice. That’s kind of what I’m thinking is the path forward at this point. But wanted to ask you all with more experience. I’m definitely realize I’m at the “don’t know what I don’t know” stage.

That’s a good idea too Ed. Only thing is can I do that from my lathe? I don’t have a mill unfortunately. But I want one though! :)

Stop fighting it, this is the perfect excuse to buy a mill. You know you want need one.

To your question, on a lathe that size 3/8 shank tools will be sufficiently rigid.

:D Don’t threaten me with a good time! Hahahaha! You’re right though. The gear acquisition syndrome symptoms are strong right now.

Ok cool. Thank you for that info! Still so new I fell into the bigger is automatically better trap.

That’s a good idea too Ed. Only thing is can I do that from my lathe? I don’t have a mill unfortunately. But I want one though! :)

I would try to mark both sides and takevit down with a angle grinder

That might be an option right there!

That lathe does not have the ability to tell the difference between the 1/2 and smaller tools.

Smaller ones are cheaper too.

If there is a plate under it then maybe remove it?

Please post some photos of this area

No need for a mill.

Place too SIDEWAYS in the holder with the bottom towards the chuck, put an end mill in the chuck and have at it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back