1/2” Shank Cutter Height Issue - Shars QCTP on Grizzly G4000 Lathe

I appreciate everyone’s input for sure!! Thank you to all of you. It’s all good stuff. There are 1000 ways to skin the cat as the old saying goes.

I did opt to order some 3/8” shank cutters of the same brand. They showed up at the house last night. I’m pleased to say it definitely solved the problem for the short term.

Once I build some more skill and confidence I want to try machining tiny amount from the tool holders. Would be cool to have the option to use either cutter set. Plus learn how to do some simple milling operations on the lathe too.

I did manage to make my first ever lathe cuts on some small aluminum round bar stock in my shop.

What I made wasn’t anything at all really lol. But me turned it!

That little test piece was literally the first thing I’ve ever attempted with any degree of success (minus my first butchered piece the other day that partially prompted my post lol). Last night I got to try making a small taper on one end and started playing around with the knurling tool that came with the machine.

0e6699335539b9c47372ccf478b1ce63.jpg

ec5b191403713c505425a69107b70a6f.jpg

6d95954ad11d08263a6ce35078c3f63d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate everyone’s input for sure!! Thank you to all of you. It’s all good stuff. There are 1000 ways to skin the cat as the old saying goes.

I did opt to order some 3/8” shank cutters of the same brand. They showed up at the house last night. I’m pleased to say it definitely solved the problem for the short term.

Once I build some more skill and confidence I want to try machining tiny amount from the tool holders. Would be cool to have the option to use either cutter set. Plus learn how to do some simple milling operations on the lathe too.

I did manage to make my first ever lathe cuts on some small aluminum round bar stock in my shop.

What I made wasn’t anything at all really lol. But me turned it!

That little test piece was literally the first thing I’ve ever attempted with any degree of success (minus my first butchered piece the other day that partially prompted my post lol). Last night I got to try making a small taper on one end and started playing around with the knurling tool that came with the machine.

0e6699335539b9c47372ccf478b1ce63.jpg

ec5b191403713c505425a69107b70a6f.jpg

6d95954ad11d08263a6ce35078c3f63d.jpg

You're doing well! Great to see you starting. I see you were brave enough to knurl, so before you know it, you will be able to machine the tool holders!

From the picture, it looks like you didn't quite have enough pressure on the knurl, to track well, but maybe my eyes are fooling me. Looks darn good for a first try. Congratulations.

You're doing well! Great to see you starting. I see you were brave enough to knurl, so before you know it, you will be able to machine the tool holders!

From the picture, it looks like you didn't quite have enough pressure on the knurl, to track well, but maybe my eyes are fooling me. Looks darn good for a first try. Congratulations.

Thanks man! I was glad to see some shiny material after peeling a few layers back.

About the knurling tool without a doubt you’re correct. I had never used one and since that was a test/hack piece I figured I’d have a go and see how it worked. I wasn’t sure whether to use light pressure and multiple passes or dig in from the get so when knurling. Just sort of hacked at it…crossed my fingers and rolled the dice lol.

How do you determine the correct pressure or cut depth when knurling usually?

Back