Who remembers?

Half of the problem with soaps these days is they've gotten safetyfied. Go Jo, if you can find a bottle of the original, that's dead, stock's drying up, you "might" find one, but there's good odds somebody has run the price up five times over retail. The other problem with soaps is that greasy (not dirt, greasy) messes and oily messes are not what they used to be. The 40 year old grease that came with my army truck, that stuff washes easily with regular soap and water. Modern lubrication is light years ahead of where it was 20 years ago. Just like twenty years ago it was light years ahead of where it was 40 years ago... So the other problem is that it's not the same mess.

This stuff works. Stupid expensive by the ounce, but it doesn't take much so it lasts. Gotta read the directions, and it does NOT take half as much to get twice the results. Way less. The more affordable way to get it is in a commercial dispenser that you'd mount by the sink.That's a commitment. In a sole proprietor home hobby shop, the dispenser refills might go years. I'm linking a trial size here, priced like a half gallon of Go Jo, so the by the ounce it's bananas, but per use, it's just as many hand washings as a half gallon of the old orange cleaners that worked. You won't be cheating with this like you can "some" hand cleaners, you WILL need water...

I got fiber internet to my house this spring. As of that "event", my dial phone no longer can make calls. The "box" that terminates the fiber doesn't acknowledge pulse dialing, and doesn't even power the old "modern backup phone" that ran off phone line voltage which I kept to call the power company when the power was out. Forget this thing. This phone has the special needs volume knob (or some other cool name for it) in the handset. That's the one that increases volume a lot, in the speaker only, for the hearing impaired folks, vs "normal" volume levers these used to have if you got a fancy one..

Attachments

• Phone.jpg
    Phone.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 17
Working at the Unilever soap plant for 15 years , the harder I had to work , the cleaner I got ! :D Only one soap/detergent ever bothered me , the ALL free and clear . Something in it really took the oil out of your skin .

Who remembers when Lava was the mans soap for cleaning dirt and grease off your hands? Now we have all the girlie hand cleaners. I even have one that is Cherry scented is red and has pumice in it. Fast Orange is likely to be the go to for many. Real men used Lava or Go-Jo . When I was a kid growing up it was either gasoline or wait till the grease and grime wore off. We live in such a coinvent world now. Daddy got axle grease in 5 gallon cans. Hat to put the end of the grease gun down in the bucket and suck up grease into the gun then wipe the outside with your fingers and stuff it inside the gun. Now days even with the EZ-PZ cartridge guns I hate touching mine without gloves or a rag in my hand.

I can't remember the last time I wrote a paper check. Caller I/D was a separate box that plugged into your phone. Yes I said plugged because phones had cords. I thought anyone that was too damn lazy to put their foot on the accelerator pedal needed an A$$ whoopin. Now I must have cruise control.
I loaded one of my grease guns, sans cartridge, just a week or two ago. (Try getting Shell EP greases in 3" cartridges...). I had to write paper checks for my water bill until a couple years ago when they finally got an electronic payment system.

GsT

Your picture reminds me that encyclopedias have gone the way of the rotary phone also

Indeed. This set is from 1958, but my understanding is they were actually purchased a year or two late- more accurately, just after the next edition came out. Otherwise my grand parents couldn't have afforded them. I fear for their future when I'm gone....

Ahh, the good ol days.
Whilst waiting in a long line at the supermarket, 2 checkouts working, 6 with no one manning (do I have to say "Non gender specific operaters now?) them, the self checkout full I was thinking of when I was a kid.
Milk was delivered every morning, bread was delivered every day, green grocer came by twice a week, butcher came by twice a week, the general grocer came round and collected an order on tuesdays and delivered them on thursdays, friday and saturday evenings the muffin man came round selling muffins and crumpets that were toasted on the open fire in the living room, sunday afternoons the shell fish man came round selling prawns, whelks, cockles, mussels, jellied eels and winkles.
There was a telephone on the street corner that was used primarily to call the doctor who would then make a house call.
No one called family or friends as no one had a phone.

Boraxo in a garage sale dispenser is mounted by my shop sink. Works great.

Also, I saw a Boraxo dispenser in an antique store for $125 the the other day!

I guess I am a rebel because I like my cherry bomb hand cleaner. :eagerness:

for grease and oil, I find that ATF will cut both. It leaves your hands nice and soft as well. In the shop, I use Fast Orange with a splash of Dawn.

The first phone we had at home was a wall mounted crank type phone on a party line. My parents had that phone until after I left home.

We dumped out land line earlier this year. Our phone service now comes over our cell phones and we are in a dead spot so we use WiFi calling at home. However, when there is a power outage, our fiber optic service drops out so no phone service. Last week, I set up a mall inverter with an old lawn and garden tractor battery so we can still access the phones and internet during a power outage.

I bought an encyclopedia set when I graduated from college in 1967. I gave the set away to an appreciative young mother last year . It's a great way to encourage your youngsters to read as well as instilling some general knowledge.

Oh yes, I remember the outhouse too. I was a teenager before we got inside plumbing.

I read the 1976 World Book Encyclopedia pretty much cover to cover. I figure that's how I got to be such a smart A$$.

I've often said when I retire I'm only going to have one phone and it'll be attached to the wall. If you want to reach me send a letter or call my number. If I'm not there you'll have to call back.

Not sure if it'll work but I plan on giving it a try....

John

Back