What's in Your Pocket? (No, Not That, Dave: EDC)

My 3 favorite knives:

I love the Kershaw Onion Leak!
20240718_182046.jpg

The Gerber stays on my tool belt.
20240718_182105.jpg

The no-name assisted opening scalpel blade is what I carry 95% of the time. I have ruined a half dozen blades doing stupid stuff you should never do with a pocket knife... then just put a new quality razor sharp blade on for about $1. Being a titanium handle it is my lightest knife and also my physically smallest knife but has enough handle to hold easily in my big hands. It is REALLY hard to beat it for usefulness!
20240718_182132.jpg

I really like Kershaw knives. They aren't the fanciest nor most expensive but they always seems to be an excellent value for what I pay (on sale!)..

20240718_183713.jpg

Last edited:
My 3 favorite knives:

I love the Kershaw Onion Leak!
View attachment 497347

The Gerber stays on my tool belt.
View attachment 497348

The no-name assisted opening scalpel blade is what I carry 95% of the time. I have ruined a half dozen blades doing stupid stuff you should never do with a pocket knife... then just put a new quality razor sharp blade on for about $1. Being a titanium handle it is my lightest knife and also my physically smallest knife but has enough handle to hold easily in my big hands. It is REALLY hard to beat it for usefulness!
View attachment 497349

I really like Kershaw knives. They aren't the fanciest nor most expensive but they always seems to be an excellent value for what I pay (on sale!)..

View attachment 497350
Don't know why but your 'no-name' knife seems the most aesthetically pleasing to me.

The Kershaw is pretty, I'll grant, but the stripped back look of the no-name just appeals for some reason. :)

Don't know why but your 'no-name' knife seems the most aesthetically pleasing to me.

The Kershaw is pretty, I'll grant, but the stripped back look of the no-name just appeals for some reason. :)

Amazon tells me that the scalpel folder is a OLITANS T012 which I paid $29 for and they no longer seem to carry. https://www.galleon.ph/tools-home-i...-flipper-folding-scalpel-knife-with-p47810106

Amazon links me to the OLITANS T010 at $19 which looks identical to me but with shorter scalpel blades. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DQ6C3GG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8

I use these high quality blades at about $1 each. https://www.amazon.com/Havalon-60A-12Qty-Blades-Bolt/dp/B00CJ1DUN2/ref=sr_1_6?sr=8-6

There are cheaper blades available but they aren't as strong and don't keep their edge as well.

The Kershaw Leek designed by Mr. Ken Onion is a very highly regarded by many "knife nerds" for it's excellent build quality and very good quality blade. Just holding one in your hand and flipping it open makes quite an impression. https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Stai...le-Pocketclip/dp/B0009VC9Y0/ref=sr_1_2?sr=8-2 The assist spring and lock are very smooth and well balanced. The OLTANS isn't as smooth nor have as strong well balanced spring. The stainless steel Leak is about twice the weight of the titanium OLTANS which is probably part of why it feels so pleasing in the hand but for carrying I think lighter is better even if it is only an ounce or two.

But I carry the OLTANS scalpel blade every day and don't worry about abusing it. If I had to choose between the two it is the one I would probably choose. I do like the look and feel of the OLTANS but it just isn't the same as the Kershaw that costs 2x to 3x as much.

I wear 2XL gloves:
20240719_132518.jpg

In use I get a good solid 3 finger grip on the OLTANS. The Kershaw Leek is just longer enough to get a 4 finger grip on.

Last edited:
I picked this up on vacation. I’m not sure about its utility yet, but I’ll keep you guys updated.IMG_3675.jpeg

Amazon tells me that the scalpel folder is a OLITANS T012 which I paid $29 for and they no longer seem to carry. https://www.galleon.ph/tools-home-i...-flipper-folding-scalpel-knife-with-p47810106

Amazon links me to the OLITANS T010 at $19 which looks identical to me but with shorter scalpel blades. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DQ6C3GG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8
Amazon has a dizzying selection of similar "Scalpel Knives," but I found this one from OLITANS that uses the #60 blades and is close to the T012:
20240719 OLITANS T029.jpeg

Amazon also has Kershaw #60 Blades:
20240719 Kershaw RBK Blades.jpeg

Amazon has a dizzying selection of similar "Scalpel Knives," but I found this one from OLITANS that uses the #60 blades and is close to the T012:
View attachment 497422

Amazon also has Kershaw #60 Blades:
View attachment 497423

I see the T010 handle is a bit different design than my T012 handle. That T029 looks to be very similar to (maybe a replacement for) my T012.

Either way I really like the OLINTAS assisted opening scalpel blade knife and would recommend one to someone looking for this kind of knife. (But I have not tried any similar knives). I will say the OLINTAS blade swivel and spring aren't up to Kershaw "Onion" incredibly high standards... but still VERY perfectly useable.

The Havalon #60A blades I linked to I know are of very good quality. I have used them and have talked to others online that recommend them after using them to butcher game in the field. I have no experience with the Kershaw blades. I highly doubt either company makes their own scalpel blades. For those unfamiliar with scalpels there are a wide variety of scalpel blade geometries available.

The number of assisted opening scalpel blade knives available today is many times the number available when I bought mine a few years ago. I suspect the choices in this market are going to grow considerably! Maybe someone will add a discrete bottle opener?

Last edited:
I don't know what the OLITANS numbering system means. I suspect my T012 is a little longer in the handle than the T010 I linked to???. Maybe the T029 you linked to is a little longer than my T012??? I like the handle length of my T012 but I would not want to go any shorter... I would elect for a bit longer handle rather than a bit shorter.

Either way I really like the OLINTAS assisted opening scalpel blade knife and would recommend one to someone looking for this kind of knife. (But I have not tried any similar knives). I will say the OLINTAS blade swivel and spring aren't up to Kershaw "Onion" incredibly high standards... but still VERY perfectly useable.

The Havalon #60A blades I linked to I know are of very good quality. I have used them and have talked to others online that recommend them after using them to butcher game in the field. I have no experience with the Kershaw blades. I highly doubt either company makes their own scalpel blades. For those unfamiliar with scalpels there are a wide variety of scalpel blade geometries available.

The number of assisted opening scalpel blade knives available today is many times the number available when I bought mine a few years ago. I suspect the choices in this market are going to grow considerably! Maybe someone will add a discrete bottle opener?
I’m working on designing some EDC gear. So far I’ve done a front pocket pen and a deep carry clip pen, a tweaker size screwdriver, a couple scalpel knives (one including a bottle opener :) , a metal card wallet, and working on a clicker pen.

Here’s one of the pen prototypes. 6061-T6 anodized. Parker G2 style insert from Schmidt writes like butter. Might do a titanium version as well.
IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_6582.jpeg

Eventually I’d like to put some of the items in production. Only the pocket pens have made it to physical prototypes so far. Tonight I’m adjusting the pen geometry for a better cap and post feel. Ran a few prototype parts, reasonably happy. Need to tweak programming a little.

Built a gang tooling setup so I can have 10 tools on my Haas TL1 turret. Here’s the setup below… what a huge productivity boost. Uses same 5/8” shank tooling my Hardinge DSM’s do. Air collet closer is next so I can automatically pull bar.

I’m very interested in feedback positive or critical. Thoughts on EDC gear in general.

Here’s a rendering of the screwdriver handle. Aluminum body, knurling on the body for grip and a ball bearing cap/end in red for smooth turning holds 4mm bits magnetically. I have a little Wiha set I love except the cheesy plastic handle.
Need to make or buy a rotary broach to do the hex socket.
IMG_6703.jpeg

Lots more work to do. Might run a screwdriver prototype tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6673.jpeg
    IMG_6673.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6670.jpeg
    IMG_6670.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 4
I’m working on designing some EDC gear. So far I’ve done a front pocket pen and a deep carry clip pen, a tweaker size screwdriver, a couple scalpel knives (one including a bottle opener :) , a metal card wallet, and working on a clicker pen.

Here’s one of the pen prototypes. 6061-T6 anodized. Parker G2 style insert from Schmidt writes like butter. Might do a titanium version as well.
View attachment 497437

View attachment 497439

Eventually I’d like to put some of the items in production. Only the pocket pens have made it to physical prototypes so far. Tonight I’m adjusting the pen geometry for a better cap and post feel. Ran a few prototype parts, reasonably happy. Need to tweak programming a little.

Built a gang tooling setup so I can have 10 tools on my Haas TL1 turret. Here’s the setup below… what a huge productivity boost. Uses same 5/8” shank tooling my Hardinge DSM’s do. Air collet closer is next so I can automatically pull bar.

I’m very interested in feedback positive or critical. Thoughts on EDC gear in general.

Here’s a rendering of the screwdriver handle. Aluminum body, knurling on the body for grip and a ball bearing cap/end in red for smooth turning holds 4mm bits magnetically. I have a little Wiha set I love except the cheesy plastic handle.
Need to make or buy a rotary broach to do the hex socket.
View attachment 497438

Lots more work to do. Might run a screwdriver prototype tomorrow.
Very nice pen! Could you make it so the back could unscrew revealing a scalpel blade/xacto blade holder? (Since I got my Scalpel blade knife a regular knife made out of cheap steel has lost interest)

I would love to see some of your other prototypes... even if they aren't as well refined/finished as the pen.

I love LED flashlights that take 18650 rechargeable LiIon batteries. I would love to see an 18650 flashlight that would take a scalpel blade!

Maybe something like this:
2024-07-19_211206.jpg

Or maybe different.

Last edited:
I see the T010 handle is a bit different design than my T012 handle. That T029 looks to be very similar to (maybe a replacement for) my T012.
I'll let you know when (if?) my T029 arrives Sunday.

I have several Ken Onion fixed cooking knives, and they are my favorites.

Back