What's in Your Pocket? (No, Not That, Dave: EDC)

ChazzC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After EDC came up tangentially in another thread, I decided to start an OT thread to explore what others have. I'll start with showing my collection of pocket tools & knives, noting what I use as EDC (Every Day Carry), or at least AEDC (Almost Every Day Carry).

First, the Multi-Tools:
Multi-Tools rfs.jpg
Top Row from Left to Right – Leatherman® Style® PS (no blade, so in theory TSA approved, but I don't want to lose it); two Leatherman® Micra™'s; Leatherman® Mini Tool & Case; two Leatheman® Tools & Leather Cases; Leatherman™ SideClip™ & Case; Gerber MultiPlier™ & Case; Craftsman® 45505 Mini Multi-Tool; Craftsman 45471 Multi-Tool with Adjustable Pliers & Case. Bottom Left, from Top to Bottom – Victorino® ("The Original Swiss Army™ Knife") Maxxum; Victorinox® Original (pre-1991) Super Tinker; SOG MICRO TOOLCLIP®.

My Almost EDC is a Leatherman® Micra™.

"Specialized" Knives/Tools (my terminology):
Specialized rfs.jpg
Smith & Wesson® Original (no hook) 911 Rescue Knife (roll-open, no assist) & Case; Craftsman® 80 Year Special Edition Lock Back Utility Knife & Case (somewhere I have it's baby brother); Quark (crowd-funded, 2003) Utility Knife [the idea behind this knife was that you take the blade out before traveling, then buy a blade (or several) when you get to your destination: the blades are cheaper than buying a pocket knife every time you fly; plus, it's thin & lightweight].

Pocket Knives:
Pocket Knives Plus rfs.jpg
Top to Bottom – Imperial Ireland Barlow (1975); Camillus Electrician's Knife; Imperial Providence RI USMC Issue Pocket Knife (my Father gave me this in the original wax dip 60+ years ago; I don't know if he got it during WWII or in the Reserves in the 50's after I was born); Western Fishing Knife (my Father's; maybe should be with the Specialized Knives?); two Schrade Old Timer Mighty Mite 180T's; Bomber & Company B-2 Nano Blade (crowd-funded 2017); Böker Ceramic Blade Titanium Lock Back.

Promotional Pocket Knives (self explanatory, included them since they are part of my "collection"):
Promotional rfs.jpg

The Fun Stuff, Auto & Semi-Auto Knives:
Auto n Semi-Auto Plus rfs.jpg
Left to Right – Survivor® Raider I (roll open, no assist); Coast RX313 Rapid Response - Spring Assist, G10; Kershaw Launch 4 Auto (fastest opening knife I have ever seen, and razor sharp); Gerber Auto 06 10th Anniversary; Gerber Auto 06 Tanto Black G10 & Case (Military Issue; faster than the 10th Anniversary, even after tuning). Along the bottom is a Shun Large Higo Nokami Gentleman’s Knife (basically a knife-shaped straight razor; again maybe should have included under Specialized).

My other Almost EDC is the Survivor® Raider I; it lives in a handy pocket in my car door so it is easily accessible:
Car EDC rfs.jpg

I just checked and it turns out that Pennsylvania revised their list of "offensive weapons" earlier this year, so that even Auto's are legal "for lawful purposes" (unless you live in Philadelphia and maybe some other locales).

Funny you bring this up Chazz . I brought the Gerber across the country and use it every night . :drink:I get more use from it than the other thing in my pocket . :eek::grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 10
Always have my small Gerber multi tool. The actual pocket knife varies. Swiss army to work most days. Off work days varies have a hundred or so to choose from. I like the old stuff. Whittlers and camp knives in particular.

Here is today.
69bd679912b9652e68075ec7b7348d41.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Leatherman. I use it all the time. Comes in handy on fire calls. Have used it to cut fences for access to grass fires. Also useful on auto accidents to cut seat belts, break windows ,and cut electric lines. For medical calls the leatherman raptor keep in the pocket of my turnouts.

The first knife I carried on a daily basis was a “Big Swede” by Normark. I went through two of them between 1978 and about 1996, their weak point being the lock that would get sloppy after a while. So I switched to a Gerber #600 which was okay but for some reason always felt kind of clunky. Kept that until about 2019 though when I gave up on “nice” knives and went to box cutters. Embarrassingly cheap (hey, two for 15 bucks!) but they get as much if not more use than my others. On workdays I still carry a second — the red Fisherman from Victorinox — that I’ve had since around 1995.

IMG_0800.jpeg

Funny you bring this up Chazz . I brought the Gerber across the country and use it every night . :drink:I get more use from it than the other thing in my pocket . :eek::grin:
I have a similar one, it's the Gerber Chazz has. I only have one, don't need another. It does what I need it too.

Gerber here as well.
It fits the bill, has good pliers sharp blade and isn't too heavy in the pocket.

After EDC came up tangentially in another thread, I decided to start an OT thread to explore what others have. I'll start with showing my collection of pocket tools & knives, noting what I use as EDC (Every Day Carry), or at least AEDC (Almost Every Day Carry).

First, the Multi-Tools:
View attachment 497001
Top Row from Left to Right – Leatherman® Style® PS (no blade, so in theory TSA approved, but I don't want to lose it); two Leatherman® Micra™'s; Leatherman® Mini Tool & Case; two Leatheman® Tools & Leather Cases; Leatherman™ SideClip™ & Case; Gerber MultiPlier™ & Case; Craftsman® 45505 Mini Multi-Tool; Craftsman 45471 Multi-Tool with Adjustable Pliers & Case. Bottom Left, from Top to Bottom – Victorino® ("The Original Swiss Army™ Knife") Maxxum; Victorinox® Original (pre-1991) Super Tinker; SOG MICRO TOOLCLIP®.

My Almost EDC is a Leatherman® Micra™.

"Specialized" Knives/Tools (my terminology):
View attachment 497023
Smith & Wesson® Original (no hook) 911 Rescue Knife (roll-open, no assist) & Case; Craftsman® 80 Year Special Edition Lock Back Utility Knife & Case (somewhere I have it's baby brother); Quark (crowd-funded, 2003) Utility Knife [the idea behind this knife was that you take the blade out before traveling, then buy a blade (or several) when you get to your destination: the blades are cheaper than buying a pocket knife every time you fly; plus, it's thin & lightweight].

Pocket Knives:
View attachment 497024
Top to Bottom – Imperial Ireland Barlow (1975); Camillus Electrician's Knife; Imperial Providence RI USMC Issue Pocket Knife (my Father gave me this in the original wax dip 60+ years ago; I don't know if he got it during WWII or in the Reserves in the 50's after I was born); Western Fishing Knife (my Father's; maybe should be with the Specialized Knives?); two Schrade Old Timer Mighty Mite 180T's; Bomber & Company B-2 Nano Blade (crowd-funded 2017); Böker Ceramic Blade Titanium Lock Back.

Promotional Pocket Knives (self explanatory, included them since they are part of my "collection"):
View attachment 497035

The Fun Stuff, Auto & Semi-Auto Knives:
View attachment 497036
Left to Right – Survivor® Raider I (roll open, no assist); Coast RX313 Rapid Response - Spring Assist, G10; Kershaw Launch 4 Auto (fastest opening knife I have ever seen, and razor sharp); Gerber Auto 06 10th Anniversary; Gerber Auto 06 Tanto Black G10 & Case (Military Issue; faster than the 10th Anniversary, even after tuning). Along the bottom is a Shun Large Higo Nokami Gentleman’s Knife (basically a knife-shaped straight razor; again maybe should have included under Specialized).

My other Almost EDC is the Survivor® Raider I; it lives in a handy pocket in my car door so it is easily accessible:
View attachment 497038

I just checked and it turns out that Pennsylvania revised their list of "offensive weapons" earlier this year, so that even Auto's are legal "for lawful purposes" (unless you live in Philadelphia and maybe some other locales).
You've got some mighty big pockets there....

John

I mentioned this in another thread... I've been carrying a Leatherman Wave since the Wave was introduced... maybe 1997 or 98... I've worn out or broken probably a dozen since then.

I found two lightly used Waves in an antique store last week for $35 each, so I should be set for a few years...

20240712_210351.jpg

-Bear

Given my rambling on that other thread may have, in part, triggered the EDC discussion there I suppose a photo is required of me here:20240715_122336.jpg

20240715_122624.jpg

It's hardly some beautifully crafted bit of the knife-maker's art, but it was cheap, small enough to not be a PITA on the keyring and has turned out to be reasonably durable and useful.

The blade isn't great at keeping an edge but eh, I generally don't need to whittle ironwood that often, so...

Last edited:
Back