What Did You Buy Today?

What’cha gonna do with those, Bear?
I’m actually just curious. I have a couple for my little horizontal miller and always have an eye out for more, but my uses so far have only been for making flutes in handles and knobs, that type of thing. A somewhat esoteric use. Not long ago someone on here asked what uses other than for “decorative” features radius cutters had, and I don’t know that there were a lot of responses so I’m curious if you have a particular use in mind? Not that we need a reason to buy tools… ;)

-frank

I really don't have any plans for them... I bought them just in case I ever need them. I made the seller an offer and he accepted it... They were pretty inexpensive.

-Bear

Spent the day trying to decide on which 5C Collect chuck to get for my G0709...

Ordered a Precision Matthews 5C Collect Chuck with D1-5 mount...
Ordered an HHIP 3900-2107 Single Quickie Vise Handle to make it easier/faster to tighten and loosen the 5C collects... Doing the same that @ptrotter did (thread). Here is a photo of his setup:
Here's an alternate method though it still requires two tools (link below). My CDCO 5C collet chuck takes ~20 turns to fully loosen/tighten a collet. I adapted a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square arbor to fit the metric square chuck hole (don't recall the size but it's under 3/8"), use a cordless drill to do the spinning. The link within the link is broken to the actual construction. Quick version is the square end of the arbor was hard so it was mounted in a square 5C collet block and dusted on all 4 sides until it fit into the chuck. Depending on the torque setting on the cordless, I can bypass the manual chuck key though I keep the torque low and manually tighten.

Bruce

There was an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. Heavily packed hobbyist shop.
I didn't go the first two days because I didn't want anything 'heavy' following me home.
Most of the items were of the import variety but there were several pieces that weren't, hence why I stayed away:
View attachment 394950View attachment 394951View attachment 394952View attachment 394954View attachment 394955View attachment 394956View attachment 394957
Rumor has it that they were priced around $700.00 each.
Isn't that Shaper fantastic?!! Man, I wanted it bad, but am out of floor space.

We went on Sunday and unfortunately there was still some cast iron left to be had. And it was 50% off day. . .
Their 'pricing' was a tad bizarre.
There was a floor standing import drill press from the '80s, sweet looking machine, and they had $600 on it.
I kept drooling over it, but did not really feel like having to move it, it was a beast. Wasn't the best layout for loading equipment.
Another gentleman was interested but said to me that he didn't know anything about them or how to operate them.
I gave him a 10 minute course, and also told him to check out YT. Thankfully he bought it.
View attachment 394963

Then there was a heavy duty bench type import also from the '80s that was marked at $750.00 :rolleyes:
And here's where I got in trouble. It followed us home. They took me up on my offer of $100.00
I hadn't looked into the cabinet underneath for some odd reason, guess I should have. :grin:
View attachment 394965View attachment 394966

View attachment 394967View attachment 394970

And I grabbed this heat press for a friend. Dang thing must weigh 300#
Luckily and I do mean Luck in caps, there were two movers there lugging out a piano and an organ.
We hired them to move the press(es). $20 well spent.
View attachment 394968

Went back with the trailer on Tuesday to pickup the two items.
And then we really got into trouble.
There were two cabinets filled with linotype printing press letters (matrices?).
Honey bought them.
Had to remove most of the trays and load them into the Silverado.
View attachment 394969
And Honey picked up a bunch of other stuff. The 'Buy-Out' people hadn't showed up yet due to the weather.
I would have been in trouble with that shaper, I am also out of floor space and in the process of playing garage tetris to make everything fit and be usable.. But it still may have followed me home...

I bought a vertical bandsaw, after finally figuring how to fit it in the shop. I will pick it up next week, it’s about 100 miles away. It’s a Jet VBS-900. Here’s a stock picture of one, FYI. What I like is the huge throat and relatively small footprint of 60” x 27”. It’s only around 1200 or 1400 pounds, so I will rent a flat bed trailer and use my engine hoist. I am expecting this to go well. :) I always expect that. Slow learner. Edit: Ignore the “Do not cut steel” sticker.

1643990449948.jpeg

That is rally cool. Why does it say "Do not cut steel?" That may be a problem?

were you able to find reviews of that saw?

I would think it needs 4 wheels for that configuration. I wonder how small the smallest wheel is?
Smaller wheels put stress on a band...

I bought a vertical bandsaw, after finally figuring how to fit it in the shop. I will pick it up next week, it’s about 100 miles away. It’s a Jet VBS-900. Here’s a stock picture of one, FYI. What I like is the huge throat and relatively small footprint of 60” x 27”. It’s only around 1200 or 1400 pounds, so I will rent a flat bed trailer and use my engine hoist. I am expecting this to go well. :) I always expect that. Slow learner. Edit: Ignore the “Do not cut steel” sticker.

View attachment 395050
I hope your engine hoist lifts higher than mine does....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I hope your engine hoist lifts higher than mine does....
Yes, that's a good issue. I'm renting a pretty low and tilt bed trailer, and the saw is only about 61" tall. I have hopes.

were you able to find reviews of that saw?

I would think it needs 4 wheels for that configuration. I wonder how small the smallest wheel is?
Smaller wheels put stress on a band...
I couldn't find any reviews, unfortunately. I saw a picture of a similar saw which had three wheels, but I concur, 4 seems more likely. I'll find out for sure next week. Remember this is hobby use, so I expect a lifetime (mine) of use from a blade. Plus it has a welder, as a fairly terrifying thought. But welding a blade sounds easy.

Back