What Did You Buy Today?

I still have not ordered the 5C chuck for my lathe, but figured I would get this stop... for the price, I thought it was a good value...

Also got some products for cleaning the mill and lathe, and something to protect it afterwards...

IMG_4316.jpeg

@wachuko

I, for one, would like to see some "before and after" photos of using the Rust Free product.

I'm wondering how it compares to Evaporust in procedure and results.

@wachuko

I, for one, would like to see some "before and after" photos of using the Rust Free product.

I'm wondering how it compares to Evaporust in procedure and results.
@extropic - only using the Boeshield Rust Free to clean the table on the mill and the chucks on the lathe...

This does not compare to Evaporust where the part is submerged...

Here, take a look at this video for what I am trying to do with the mill table:

There was an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. Heavily packed hobbyist shop.
I didn't go the first two days because I didn't want anything 'heavy' following me home.
Most of the items were of the import variety but there were several pieces that weren't, hence why I stayed away:
1639067920_20210922_163351.jpg1639798274_Atlas_Shaper.jpg1639798272_Atlas_Shaper_Mark_1.jpg1639067923_20210922_163356.jpg1639067935_20210922_163453.jpg1639067938_20210922_163455.jpg1639798266_Niagara_Works_Machinery.jpg
Rumor has it that they were priced around $700.00 each.
Isn't that Shaper fantastic?!! Man, I wanted it bad, but am out of floor space.

We went on Sunday and unfortunately there was still some cast iron left to be had. And it was 50% off day. . .
Their 'pricing' was a tad bizarre.
There was a floor standing import drill press from the '80s, sweet looking machine, and they had $600 on it.
I kept drooling over it, but did not really feel like having to move it, it was a beast. Wasn't the best layout for loading equipment.
Another gentleman was interested but said to me that he didn't know anything about them or how to operate them.
I gave him a 10 minute course, and also told him to check out YT. Thankfully he bought it.
IMG_20220116_130807199_Rc.jpg

Then there was a heavy duty bench type import also from the '80s that was marked at $750.00 :rolleyes:
And here's where I got in trouble. It followed us home. They took me up on my offer of $100.00
I hadn't looked into the cabinet underneath for some odd reason, guess I should have. :grin:
image002.jpgimage003.jpg

image001.jpg1639798292_Pratco_Drill_Press_Mark.jpg

And I grabbed this heat press for a friend. Dang thing must weigh 300#
Luckily and I do mean Luck in caps, there were two movers there lugging out a piano and an organ.
We hired them to move the press(es). $20 well spent.
Heat-Press_Rc.jpg

Went back with the trailer on Tuesday to pickup the two items.
And then we really got into trouble.
There were two cabinets filled with linotype printing press letters (matrices?).
Honey bought them.
Had to remove most of the trays and load them into the Silverado.
Linotype_001_Rc.jpg
And Honey picked up a bunch of other stuff. The 'Buy-Out' people hadn't showed up yet due to the weather.

Spent the day trying to decide on which 5C Collect chuck to get for my G0709...

Ordered a Precision Matthews 5C Collect Chuck with D1-5 mount...
Ordered an HHIP 3900-2107 Single Quickie Vise Handle to make it easier/faster to tighten and loosen the 5C collects... Doing the same that @ptrotter did (thread). Here is a photo of his setup:

5C Handle.jpeg

Last edited:
5 radius cutters... a 9/16", three 1", and a 1-3/8".
What’cha gonna do with those, Bear?
I’m actually just curious. I have a couple for my little horizontal miller and always have an eye out for more, but my uses so far have only been for making flutes in handles and knobs, that type of thing. A somewhat esoteric use. Not long ago someone on here asked what uses other than for “decorative” features radius cutters had, and I don’t know that there were a lot of responses so I’m curious if you have a particular use in mind? Not that we need a reason to buy tools… ;)

-frank

Back