What Did You Buy Today?

The wife and I spent all day Saturday at part of 'the worlds longest yard sale'... we began at Clarkrange, Tennessee, and managed to make it about 48 miles down to Pikeville, Tennessee in 10 hours.

Along the way, I picked up a few items...

First was a ⅜-16 helicoil kit for $5...

View attachment 498886

An OLD Dremel... not variable speed... $5...

View attachment 498887

After getting home, I tested it... it turns, but slowly, got hot pretty quick, and began smoking... I may have been ripped off on this.

Also, a Milwaukee impact wrench... $25...

View attachment 498888

View attachment 498889

Next, a dial tachometer... $10...

View attachment 498890

View attachment 498891

An Ames indicator... $10...View attachment 498892

.300" range... this may be the smoothest travel indicator I own... it is extremely smooth.

An OLD Craftsman ½" ratchet... $20...

View attachment 498893

View attachment 498894

A friend of mine who collects antique Craftsman tools tells me this dates back to the 1940's.

Another OLD Craftsman... just because...

View attachment 498895

View attachment 498896

This saw also allegedly dates from the 1940's. The seller had two just alike... $30 for the pair and he wouldn't seperate them. Yeah, I came home with both...

A Kennedy rolling tool box... $100...

View attachment 498897

View attachment 498898

It's still on it's back in the truck... I'll need some help to unload it.

Also... (not tool related), I found this box on a table...

View attachment 498899

Upon opening it...

View attachment 498900

... I found a very nice leather ammo pouch... made to be worn on a belt while hunting or shooting clay target sports. I've owned some nice pouches, but this one is on a 'different level of nice'... for $25, I couldn't get my money out fast enough.

Last but not least... I didn't get this at a yard sale, it was in a store, but...

View attachment 498901

I picked up an older Ruger 10/22 with the factory hammer forged heavy barrel and a Simmons 8-32x44 scope... it was an impulse buy...

Overall... I think I had a good weekend.

-Bear

A quick rundown on my purchases since I've had a few minutes to evaluate them...

The two saws are both in decent condition... both have two prong plugs, so neither are grounded... I'll have to fix that.

20240805_081302.jpg

The saw with the black cord needs a new cord anyway... it's scary. I plugged it in and hit the trigger with a plastic rod... it runs great... very smooth and a lot quieter than I thought. The box it was in also held a pair of wrenches for blade changes and a stack of blades. These are 6½" blades.

20240805_082456.jpg

20240805_082507.jpg

The saw with the orange cord also runs, but has an issue with the trigger. I plugged it in and had to hit the trigger (using the plastic rod) three times before it started. Once it did start, it didn't want to shut off. The trigger usually works, but not every time... I'll have to check it out.

There was a total of 17 blades in the two boxes, ranging from 'appears unused' to 'MIGHT cut warm butter'... including two abrasive blades, a friction blade, and at least one 'unused' carbide tipped blade.

The Milwaukee impact works great... it zipped a lugnut off my truck so fast it made me nervous... I grabbed my torque wrench and checked the torque on the rest of the lugnuts... they were ok, this impact is just that stout!

I also played with the dial tachometer... it seems to work very well... I think it will be handy.

I've also disassembled the Ruger 10/22... I don't think it's ever been cleaned. When I was building custom 10/22s years ago, I could disassemble and reassemble the trigger assemblies blindfolded... that was too long ago, I can't seem to remember how to do it now. Hopefully, it will come back to me as I disassemble this one...

20240802_122923.jpg

-Bear

I already have a Proxxon rotary tool. One of these:

I bought it after my Dremel died on me.
I have a couple like that, an older Black & Decker and a newer one from Micromark (a clone of your Proxxon).

But I was thinking of an actual die grinder, which tend to have a bit more poke:

For power hand tool purchases I have been going with brushless battery tools like the IBS/A and an M12 Milwaukee 2485 Right Angle Grinder:

20240805 Milwaukee 2485-20.jpeg
Price is comparable to the Proxxon, but more compact; they also have a straight die grinder and all carry a 5-year warranty (wish I had looked into these before I bought the Proxxon, actually).

The Milwaukee impact works great... it zipped a lugnut off my truck so fast it made me nervous.
The mechanic up the road tried to start a lug nut on the 4 Runner with an impact when he rotated the wife's tires . Found that out when doing the brakes yesterday . The brakes took an hour . Took 2 hours to find a couple M12-1.5 taps in the basement to fix his FUs . :burned up:

I have a couple like that, an older Black & Decker and a newer one from Micromark (a clone of your Proxxon).

For power hand tool purchases I have been going with brushless battery tools like the IBS/A and an M12 Milwaukee 2485 Right Angle Grinder:

View attachment 498985
Price is comparable to the Proxxon, but more compact; they also have a straight die grinder and all carry a 5-year warranty (wish I had looked into these before I bought the Proxxon, actually).
I looked at the Milwaukee M12 then realised it was cordless. I don't really need cordless in a die grinder and I really don't need another battery standard and set of batteries and charger.

The corded Milwaukee die grinders do look good but they're much more expensive in the UK than the Metabo ones and Metabo does have a solid reputation for die grinders (along with a confusing brand name relationship with the Hitachi tool brand now called Metabo HPT :rolleyes:).

The other likely lad is the Bosch GGS 28C.

Anyway, maybe I'll ask for one for. Christmas ;)

Keep your eyes open next month . :grin:
If you don't mind shipping to the UK, I'll keep an eye out. Although given the amount of kit you're going to have to sell, I may end up with lots of tools and no home! :grin:

I have a Precise head along with maybe 8 others floating around . 7 have to go . :grin: I always have 10 extras for the one I never use these days . :rolleyes:

Here's one on the bay . Mine will be half that . :eek:

The mechanic up the road tried to start a lug nut on the 4 Runner with an impact when he rotated the wife's tires . Found that out when doing the brakes yesterday . The brakes took an hour . Took 2 hours to find a couple M12-1.5 taps in the basement to fix his FUs . :burned up:
When I have our Winter & Summer tires swapped, I give the shop a note like this:

Please:​
Use Only Hand Tools to Install Lug Nuts; Hand Torque Only to 190 Nm/140 lb-ft. If Necessary, Use the Provided Thin Wall Sockets to Avoid Damage to the Alloy Wheels. Do Not Use Impact Tools to Install Lugs.​
Use the provided Stock Lug Nuts (stamped “METRIC” in a circular pattern on the end) on the Summer Tires; Do Not Use the After Market Lug Nuts (stamped “12mm1.5” on one of the hex faces) from the Winter Tires.​
Place the Removed Lug Nuts and the Thin Wall Socket & Adapter in the Plastic Bag.​
Set Tire Pressure at 240 kPa/35 PSI & Reset TPMS.​
Thank You!​

This list evolved after they 1) failed to use the correct lug nuts (managed to have a mix of OE & AM), didn't set the tire pressure and forgot to reset TPMS (well, I did get to buy a new RF Setting Tool :) ).

Yes, I could do this myself, but while I have more space in my garage than you, I can't walk around the cars with the door shut plus I have better things to do with my time (and I'm older than you are).

I have a Precise head along with maybe 8 others floating around . 7 have to go . :grin: I always have 10 extras for the one I never use these days . :rolleyes:

Here's one on the bay . Mine will be half that . :eek:
He'll need a 240/120 transformer to go with it (and one of those funny plugs they use in the UK).

Yeah Chazz . This is a new guy that took over Sam Walker's shop at the top of my street . Never used him before but figured they could handle an oil change and tire rotation . Oil changes aren't an issue for me , but tires are heavy these days . :) He stated the rear pads were low and should be replaced . ( $457 ) Parts and Labor . $43 at Advanced Auto and an hour of work in the driveway , along with a few cold ones . Not sure what the labor rate was but I surely never made it . :grin:

Back