What Did You Buy Today?

Nice haul, Bear!

The Dremel is older than my "new" one (#281, grey, purchased new with the case in the 60's) and my used #280 (brown, dates to maybe early 60's?):

View attachment 498905

The antique Craftsman Tools are fantastic (even with the repurposed extension cord on the saw - grounded now so you won't get electrocuted), and the Kennedy looks like it dates back to at least the 60's.
I have the brown 280 about 1965 or 66 I think. Had it as a kid.

@682bear I'm betting the bearings are gummed up. Or the brushes need replacement.
My metal cased Craftsman saw from the early 60s (my dads) had a 3 prong. Not sure about that vintage originally but a new cord is good anyway.. Those are usually odd sized blades.

Was that take a break from the interstate on Hwy 21 @682bear? If so we did about 20 miles of it last Saturday.

Was that take a break from the interstate on Hwy 21 @682bear? If so we did about 20 miles of it last Saturday.

This starts in Gadsden, Alabama and goes north across the NW corner of Georgia, then follows US 127 through Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and into Michigan...

We follow part of the route every year. We have been from Gadsden, Alabama to Clarkrange, Tennessee.

It is always held Thursday thru Sunday, the first week in August... which is always the week that school starts here. After my wife retires from teaching, maybe we will get to travel more of the route.

-Bear

The wife and I spent all day Saturday at part of 'the worlds longest yard sale'... we began at Clarkrange, Tennessee, and managed to make it about 48 miles down to Pikeville, Tennessee in 10 hours.

Along the way, I picked up a few items...

First was a ⅜-16 helicoil kit for $5...

View attachment 498886

An OLD Dremel... not variable speed... $5...

View attachment 498887

After getting home, I tested it... it turns, but slowly, got hot pretty quick, and began smoking... I may have been ripped off on this.

Also, a Milwaukee impact wrench... $25...

View attachment 498888

View attachment 498889

Next, a dial tachometer... $10...

View attachment 498890

View attachment 498891

An Ames indicator... $10...View attachment 498892

.300" range... this may be the smoothest travel indicator I own... it is extremely smooth.

An OLD Craftsman ½" ratchet... $20...

View attachment 498893

View attachment 498894

A friend of mine who collects antique Craftsman tools tells me this dates back to the 1940's.

Another OLD Craftsman... just because...

View attachment 498895

View attachment 498896

This saw also allegedly dates from the 1940's. The seller had two just alike... $30 for the pair and he wouldn't seperate them. Yeah, I came home with both...

A Kennedy rolling tool box... $100...

View attachment 498897

View attachment 498898

It's still on it's back in the truck... I'll need some help to unload it.

Also... (not tool related), I found this box on a table...

View attachment 498899

Upon opening it...

View attachment 498900

... I found a very nice leather ammo pouch... made to be worn on a belt while hunting or shooting clay target sports. I've owned some nice pouches, but this one is on a 'different level of nice'... for $25, I couldn't get my money out fast enough.

Last but not least... I didn't get this at a yard sale, it was in a store, but...

View attachment 498901

I picked up an older Ruger 10/22 with the factory hammer forged heavy barrel and a Simmons 8-32x44 scope... it was an impulse buy...

Overall... I think I had a good weekend.

-Bear
I have the same Dremel and case, it was my grandfather’s.

Al lthese posts about Dremel tools has me asking myself about the origins and the intended original use. Die grinder? tool post mini grinder? what was the original intent other than a multi-tool?
And now this thread has got me looking at die grinders. One of the Metabo corded 240V fellows maybe, they're reasonable at about £170 odd.

Not this month mind you. I've got a bunch of stuff on eBay trying to clear some workshop space and claw back some money. :oops: :big grin:

And now this thread has got me looking at die grinders. One of the Metabo corded 240V fellows maybe, they're reasonable at about £170 odd.

Not this month mind you. I've got a bunch of stuff on eBay trying to clear some workshop space and claw back some money. :oops: :big grin:

After seeing how much Keith Appleton likes his Proxxon rotary tool I picked up a battery version two years ago:

A little unwieldy compared to the Dremel, but variable speed, power seems comparable (specs don’t provide any way to compare) and more convenient. However, since my Dremel is AC/DC brushed motor I can use a foot pedal variable speed. If I can find one at a decent price I’ll get a spare battery.

After seeing how much Keith Appleton likes his Proxxon rotary tool I picked up a battery version two years ago:

A little unwieldy compared to the Dremel, but variable speed, power seems comparable (specs don’t provide any way to compare) and more convenient. However, since my Dremel is AC/DC brushed motor I can use a foot pedal variable speed. If I can find one at a decent price I’ll get a spare battery.
I already have a Proxxon rotary tool. One of these:

I bought it after my Dremel died on me.

But I was thinking of an actual die grinder, which tend to have a bit more poke:

Back