What Did You Buy Today?

I didn't buy these, but a local High School teacher had to clean out the chem lab so they could remodel. Apparently there was some really old stuff in there. I was volunteered to take all of it because "he knows enough chemistry to not kill himself".
1000002656.jpg

1000002657.jpg

Yes, THAT CRC. No idea how old that is.
1000002658.jpg

1000002660.jpg

1000002661.jpg

Ok, I know enough about this to be scared ****less of it1000002662.jpgI'm not sure what to do with it. I'm open to ideas.

Well, the answer is ironically in the background of your photo of the carbon yet... In a bottle marked Tap Magic. CCl4 was the magic ingredient in the old formulation (aka the good stuff). The N-propyl and cyclohexane are maybe useful as cleaning solvents. Same with the ethyl acetate, but it'll give you a hangover headache. The ammonia water is ammonia water and the turpentine is turpentine. The gem of the lot is the scary one.

Reactions: K30
Well, the answer is ironically in the background of your photo of the carbon yet... In a bottle marked Tap Magic. CCl4 was the magic ingredient in the old formulation (aka the good stuff). The N-propyl and cyclohexane are maybe useful as cleaning solvents. Same with the ethyl acetate, but it'll give you a hangover headache. The ammonia water is ammonia water and the turpentine is turpentine. The gem of the lot is the scary one.

I've only been familar with CarbonTet as a refrigerant and a fire extinguishing agent. The stuff is a good solvent, but boy, is it bad juju. You damn sure don't want it near a hot fire or a welder. Or on/near you for that matter.

Which one? Analine? I don't know of any good uses for that. We used to use CCl4 to wash out glassware.

Our state environmental dept sometimes takes that kind of stuff for disposal, for free, and picks it up. Most counties have an annual hazardous waste free pickup. Sines won’t take commercial stuff. Try them.

Why does that Cyclohexane say solubilized with NaOH? I wonder what it's pH is?

Well, it was yesterday actually, minutes after I decided I was going to give up trying to find one of the small 'old-iron' horizontal mills with a vertical head for something close to my budget (and we're talking the stub vertical heads, not the nice ones with a quill/fine feed; they're stupid money) and go back to my idea of an RF clone.

I got an email from Warco about their 60% summer sale, so I thought I'd take a quick gander to see if they had any tooling or accessories on sale that I fancied.

There, smack bang in the middle of rhe page, was a Warco 1994 Minor mill-drill (they do sometimes have refurbed-used machines for sale). From the pictures it looked very tidy and was 'middle-high' within my budget. Deciding it was a sign from God, I bought it.

£50 for delivery (I really am starting to loathe driving on the UK's motorways to go collect purchases, and turning up at some rando's door with a wad of cash isn't a comfortable experience either) and it will be here Friday.

Here what it looks like:
pictures 1.jpg

The one downside to this, is that this has made me reevaluate the setup of my workshop and I'm going to need to switch some of it around to optimally position this mill (especially now my workshop looks like 'Plastic Offcuts R Us':grin:).

So as a result, the mill will sit on a spare bit of unsuitable, cheap, inadequately rigid 'work-bench' for a while, until I work out exactly how I want things in that area to be. I'll give it a little pat and a hello and goodbye when I come into and leave the workshop though, just to make sure it knows it's wanted and hasn't been forgotten :big grin:.

Well, it was yesterday actually, minutes after I decided I was going to give up trying to find one of the small 'old-iron' horizontal mills with a vertical head for something close to my budget (and we're talking the stub vertical heads, not the nice ones with a quill/fine feed; they're stupid money) and go back to my idea of an RF clone.

I got an email from Warco about their 60% summer sale, so I thought I'd take a quick gander to see if they had any tooling or accessories on sale that I fancied.

There, smack bang in the middle of rhe page, was a Warco 1994 Minor mill-drill (they do sometimes have refurbed-used machines for sale). From the pictures it looked very tidy and was 'middle-high' within my budget. Deciding it was a sign from God, I bought it.

£50 for delivery (I really am starting to loathe driving on the UK's motorways to go collect purchases, and turning up at some rando's door with a wad of cash isn't a comfortable experience either) and it will be here Friday.

Here what it looks like:
View attachment 494036

The one downside to this, is that this has made me reevaluate the setup of my workshop and I'm going to need to switch some of it around to optimally position this mill (especially now my workshop looks like 'Plastic Offcuts R Us':grin:).

So as a result, the mill will sit on a spare bit of unsuitable, cheap, inadequately rigid 'work-bench' for a while, until I work out exactly how I want things in that area to be. I'll give it a little pat and a hello and goodbye when I come into and leave the workshop though, just to make sure it knows it's wanted and hasn't been forgotten :big grin:.
RF 30 clone, you can do good work with that. I had one branded Harbor Freight, it’s pretty heavy so make sure your workbench is up to it.

John

Our state environmental dept sometimes takes that kind of stuff for disposal, for free, and picks it up. Most counties have an annual hazardous waste free pickup. Sines won’t take commercial stuff. Try them.
This ^^^^

As the person at work who’s tasked with disposing of hazardous waste I’d have let the school pay to have that stuff hauled.

For sure get rid of anything you don’t have a use for so it doesn’t become a problem for someone else down the line.

John

Back