What Did You Buy Today?

I have been purchasing tooling for the lathe but not posting here. Too much little stuff which I figured you all have seen way too many times. Nothing interesting.

But today I purchased a Fowler electronic indicator. I have avoided digital indicators but the price was just too good to pass up. Some of you may know I shoot F-Class Mid (to 600 yards) to Long range (800 to 1200 yards) High Power Rifle class. I have avoided shaping the bullets tips, called Tipping but I need to take my reloading level to a new height. So I am going to start Tipping my bullets (basically uniforming the very tip of the bullet).

Here is an example of Tipping or Pointing, not the round I use but good representation.

Sierra-MatchKing-30-168175.jpg

To prepare for this I need to buy a tool to accurately measure the bullets overall length to the tip and separate them into different categories. So I needed an easy measurement and decided on this digital indicator. It will be coupled with an Accurate One bullet comparator to do the measuring. Along with the comparator, I will be purchasing the Tipping Die specific for the bullet se.

I found the indicator on Amazon for half of Fowler's listed price. Very happy with the reviews. I already have the step lifting lever to use with it. Now I need Comparator Gauge and the Tipping Die System.

Maybe one of these days I will try a hobby that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. :rolleyes:

Fowler 54-520-260-0, Indi-X Blue Digital Indicator with 0-1"/25mm Measuring Range

Indicator.jpg

Carbide Flat Contact Points for Dial Indicator Carbide Tip

Flat Contact Indicator Point.jpg

Nothing exciting, but hopefully this whole process will help me to close that gap on my groups.

Last edited:
The ultrasonic cleaner showed up today which means I'll be busy this afternoon . Not using it , but searching for 2 square feet of flat empty space where I can put it . :rolleyes: So what should I go with the liquid ? Water and use ziplocks with cleaner ? I have every kind of cleaners ever made so looking for guidance here .
I managed to find a pile of PE ziploc bags a while back. I use them with all sorts of chemicals in the ultrasonic cleaner. Paint thinner, acetone, alcohol, etc. They've been holding up fine. Just add parts to clean, add liquid of choice, set it in the ultrasonic, and fill the remainder of the ultrasonic with water.

Note, it's wise not to set parts on the bottom of the ultrasonic tub, where the transducers are.

Last edited:
I needed a piece of angle aluminum 3”x3” however long. I went to the local metal supply. Looking in the rem section I found a piece of 4x4”x 3 feet. $2.39 lb. 13 lbs. $33.50 with tax. Pretty good. I then decided to see what McMaster would be.
15184d3c2c69634d0cb6f950e24bd3ad.jpg

d7550220159fb66e797385ade79a1a79.jpg

Ouch!

Cutting oil is my blood.

sweet. I don't use MC or any of those big buys for stuff. all their prices are ridiculous. and their shipping costs.
I needed a piece of angle aluminum 3”x3” however long. I went to the local metal supply. Looking in the rem section I found a piece of 4x4”x 3 feet. $2.39 lb. 13 lbs. $33.50 with tax. Pretty good. I then decided to see what McMaster would be.
15184d3c2c69634d0cb6f950e24bd3ad.jpg

d7550220159fb66e797385ade79a1a79.jpg

Ouch!

Cutting oil is my blood.

got to working on that 3-drawer drill index this morning. wish the PO hadn't painted it. freaking runs everywhere and just an all-around bad paint job. there were 2 decals under his paint but they're no good now. the thing was originally a metallic light green hammered finish. spent some time dollying out small dents and straightening the crimped corners.

PXL_20240615_172604987.MP.jpgPXL_20240615_172548448.MP.jpgPXL_20240615_180453684.MP.jpg

I needed a piece of angle aluminum 3”x3” however long. I went to the local metal supply. Looking in the rem section I found a piece of 4x4”x 3 feet. $2.39 lb. 13 lbs. $33.50 with tax.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Yep, sometimes you need to get creative: I spent a couple of weeks looking for 2-1/2” x 1”-ish 6061 channel with square inside corners; couldn’t find anything at any price until I found 2-1/2” 6061 square tube at a great price from Grainger. Few days later picked my 2’ length at the local branch and after a reasonably short visit with the bandsaw I had what I needed, plus spare material for later.

Back