Well, Im in a dispute with VEVOR over a damaged rotary table.

As long as it's flat and doesn't effect your work piece. To me, it just looks like cosmetic damage that doesn't reflect on the actual workpiece.

Pic I took but didn’t post. I had a job in the mill that I had to finish so I could get some feeler gauges under it to see the extent of the damage.

The feeler gauge is just to the right of the based in corner. Adjacent side is about .005-.006

IMG_4685.jpeg

Flipped it upside down and milled that spot and it’s good enough for right now. I’ll probably throw it up on the surface grinder and clean everything up at some point.

You can see a second high spot just to the right of the endmill. I went about .002 under the surface in this spot and then stoned it.

IMG_4667.jpeg

Last edited:
China is about where Japan was in the late 70's / early 80's, when Japan was considered the place to buy cheap junk. Their quality in some things has become equal to anyone, but clearly not all things. I pretty much use entirely Chinese solid carbide endmills, and I've recently started trying Chinese carbide inserts again, because many of those are also now excellent. Hold on to your hats! America needs to manufacture more, and the door is open to compete on quality - for now. But it would be foolish to count on that lasting. The Chinese can, and will, produce equal or even superior quality when the market is there.

GsT

Chinese carbide inserts were absolute crap 20yrs ago, now they’re nearly as good as some top brands, yet way more affordable.

My thinking is that they use their own inserts for manufacturing so why not make them good.

I’ve also bought carbide end mills that seem pretty good for what you pay.

Chinese carbide inserts were absolute crap 20yrs ago, now they’re nearly as good as some top brands, yet way more affordable.

My thinking is that they use their own inserts for manufacturing so why not make them good.

I’ve also bought carbide end mills that seem pretty good for what you pay.

Lots of products were commercialized by big brands at obscene margins. Two examples that come to mind: laser range finders and magnetic drills. Also, traditional brands such as Bosch exploited the fact that complex plastic injection molds (specially dual material) were only possible with CAD software and CNC machinery, that small industries in other countries were lacking.

Of course, the technological gap has closed and the Chinese are just offering such products at low margins.

Back