Toro Lawn Mower Repair

My brother in law used to have a heavy truck brake shop. Truck brake pads are thick, maybe an 8 inch arc. He gave me one pad and I ground it to fit. Brakes no longer have asbestos so it’s fairly safe to cut/grind. Probably any parts store. Come as a set, but might find an incomplete set. Or cut up an SUV pad.

I'm going to get some stuff from McMaster-Carr. 1/4" thick, 1" Wide and 1' long, High-Strength Brake and Clutch Lining.

My brother in law used to have a heavy truck brake shop. Truck brake pads are thick, maybe an 8 inch arc. He gave me one pad and I ground it to fit. Brakes no longer have asbestos so it’s fairly safe to cut/grind. Probably any parts store. Come as a set, but might find an incomplete set. Or cut up an SUV pad.
Actually, Asbestos is still used income aircraft brakes, and is also used overseas.

Just because there isn't any Asbestos in a ling doesn't mean that the grinding dust is safe: fiberglass can give you white lung, and the resins and fillers used are hazardous when breathed.

My brother in law did not put truck brakes on aircraft. Unlikely to find aircraft linings laying around. Wear a mask. Grind/cut it outdoors. Hold your breath.

My brother in law did not put truck brakes on aircraft. Unlikely to find aircraft linings laying around. Wear a mask. Grind/cut it outdoors. Hold your breath.
Sorry, my point was that all friction materials (even ceramic) produce hazardous dust.

Back