Threading on a lathe when you cannot set up 29.5 degree compound

Reminds me of a Breville (sp?) spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No - a Belleville washer is a type of spring (it is of constant thickness, just slightly conical). What I made is a simple washer with a raised face rim at the outer 30%.

And just in time for yet another opinion, Winky's Workshop: Threading - Feeding with the Cross slide vs Compound

and an interesting graphic demonstrating how 29 degree setting minimizes cutting on both sides. That said, from a number of posts I've read, straight in threading is quite common in England. Covered in detail in Workshop Practice book 3 Screwcutting In The Lathe By Martin Cleeve.

1720738310548.png

That said, from a number of posts I've read, straight in threading is quite common in England. Covered in detail in Workshop Practice book 3 Screwcutting In The Lathe By Martin Cleeve.
Yes - Pg 136 onward in my copy of the Cleeve book.
The 'straight-in' technique is called 'Method 1' and Cleeve devotes 16 lines to it before going on to Method 2 (advancing compound) and Method 3 (combined advancement of compound and cross slide, compound set parallel to lathe axis). He devotes almost 3 pages to Methods 2 & 3. About Method 1, he has only negative comments.

Yes, my bad for only thinking about #3. Glad you cleared it up.

Back