The Voron kit build thread

Activated carbon has a shelf life. Can be days to just minutes. It is a consumable and this has to by taken into consideration for long term usage. Venting is naturally an issue for users.

Activated carbon has a shelf life. Can be days to just minutes. It is a consumable and this has to by taken into consideration for long term usage. Venting is naturally an issue for users.

So keeping it well sealed may not be enough. Good to know. I've certainly noticed that desiccant has to be reactivated even if not used after a time. Reactivated some desiccant yesterday, now the gauges show 10% RH in those containers. Wonder if there's a practical way to reactivate the carbon and what the best storage is or if it really helps. Might need a vacuum pump yet. :)

I suggest track the time that it works for under your normal usage and replace on that schedule. As for renewing there is lots of information available but we throw the air filters, 24” square 2” thick, away monthly in our situation. (3000 cfm ducting system)

Does this imply that "good" activated carbon should be sealed in a vacuum to preserve shelf life? Vacuum = less molecules that get adsorbed.

Can carbon be rejuvenated under heat and vacuum, or is the only viable option to toss, which seems wasteful these days?

An example is a typical VOC respirator filter is sealed until needed. Once opened it is a tick tick tick. Depending on the how much air passes through the filter(s), it can be 6 months at maximum or when you start smelling the gas or odour that you are trying to capture. In our case Ammonia and de-greasing solvent aerosols. When the filter is not in use, one can place in a sealed container for later. This will be likely your method to extend the service life of the filter. Does not have to be in a vacuum, just the smallest sized container that it can fit in.

Some have mentioned a useful life of several months to half a year for the Nevermore filter in 3D printing use. Buying modest quantities in vacuum pack might be the way to go.

To answer my own question, reactivating carbon is a high energy process and not practical for most companies. At least according to Wikipedia. So it doesn't sound feasible for me to do my own reactivation from an economic point of view.

Nevermore filter sounds interesting. Spent some time on their github site.

An example is a typical VOC respirator filter is sealed until needed. Once opened it is a tick tick tick. Depending on the how much air passes through the filter(s), it can be 6 months at maximum or when you start smelling the gas or odour that you are trying to capture. In our case Ammonia and de-greasing solvent aerosols. When the filter is not in use, one can place in a sealed container for later. This will be likely your method to extend the service life of the filter. Does not have to be in a vacuum, just the smallest sized container that it can fit in.

Some control can be had by adjusting the fans that push air through the Nevermore filter. When the fans are off there is not much airflow. Some users set the fans to come on at the higher enclosure temperatures only to reduce "usage" of the carbon when not required. Klipper can be programmed to do this automatically.

Last edited:
I am going to give a shout-out to https://kb-3d.com/store/. I had some questions about an upgrade I was going to do, and Kris, the owner, answered the phone and literally walked me through what I needed. He is definitely going to be my go-to choice if he has what I need. Kris was also very pleasant to talk to.
I bought my hotend from https://west3d.com/ only because Kris does not carry the Phateus line. I had emailed West3D with the same questions I asked Kris, but they never responded, and even after I called West3D and asked them to respond to the questions in my email, they never did.

Sorry for the wall of text, but things are hard to condense down.

Another discovery, that could potentially save you guys some time later.

While working on my toolhead pcb, I had the Voron laying on its back with the top panel removed. Working on it through the top.

I noticed that the gantry was slightly askew, as in, parallelogram shaped, as viewed top down. I was a little miffed, because when I assembled it I took great care to make sure it was square.

I started prepping to pull the whole gantry apart, and while loosening the belt tension adjusters I noticed the gantry parallelogram changing shape.

It didn't take long to figure out that the gantry is very, very NOT rigid. It even distorted at belt tension settings well below normal. Like, below 100hz on my audio spectrometer app and below #1 on those 3d printed tension gauges.

So, I used a 1/4" dowel as a spacer/pivot in the middle, and an indicator on 1"2"3 blocks on each side, then i adjusted the tension on the 2 gantry belts until the gantry was square with both belts @ about 140'ish hz.

I say "about", because the gantry achieved squareness with the belts NOT both at the same amount of tension. They were close, but not quite even.

After squaring it via belt tension, then putting it back together, my quad gantry leveling probe sample consistency is now phenomenal.

Since putting it back together, It hasn't had to take more than 3 samples per corner. Not once. The 3 samples per corner are now hitting to withing .003mm of each other.

So, the moral of the story;

If you loosen the XY axis belts and play with the cross rail, you'll see that it clearly has some skew ability. In exactly the same way that the Z does. The Quad Gantry Level feature uses this on Z, to level the gantry. But, there is no X,Y software skew correction, so make sure you get the gantry squared, even If one belt is a little tighter than the other.

I suspect that the gantry achieving square with slightly uneven belt tension is due to the tolerance of the rails, straitness, twist, etc, as well as any any error in assembly by me.

But, the proof is in the pudding. Uneven X,Y belt tension but a square gantry = excellent probing repeatability and quick, first try Quad Gantry Leveling.

You guys may have different results than I did, but I thought it was worth a mention, just in case.

It brings to mind an interesting possibility. If it had a Y axis endstop on each side of the gantry, it should be possible to program an X, Y "squaring up" routine, similar to and in conjunction with QGL. Just an add-on to the g32 routine.

Last edited:
Back