Selling stuff, safely

I just yanked a pair of AR3 Reference speakers my Dad had. Just tested them and they still sound pretty good. These were made in the 60's by Acoustic Research. Apparently they are still sought after, so I may sell them. The sold prices vary between 1-2K for a set. They weigh about 47 lbs each. I'm not going to leave them in the house and get $25 for the pair... I'll sell them or keep them. These speakers are in decent shape considering they were shipped back and forth to the Marshall Islands between 1964 and 1965. (The Marshall Islands are between Hawaii and Guam, 9 degrees north of the equator.). My wife gave me the stink eye about mentioning bringing them home. So I need to dump some speakers if I keep these. Might do that, don't know
Familiar with the AR3s from my youth . I have a $7000 Carver system here that either needs to be sent out and re-capped or it'll sit here . My $2 ears really aren't worth a high end system anymore . :grin: As for a snowblower , I have one here that I never used . The Kubota did the job when needed , + it makes an easy job of burying crap that I don't want . :encourage:

I'd bet your daughter won't need a snow blower in Gaithersburg.

That’s what the Realtor that sold us the house in Waynesboro, VA said when he stopped by one day while we were reorganizing the garage (1982, moved from a 2,500 sf house to 1,400 - couldn’t afford more in that economy): almost laughed his axx off. He changed his tune the following February when we had 30+” (and I got a lot of dirty looks from the neighbors who were using digging shovels to clear their driveways).

That’s what the Realtor that sold us the house in Waynesboro, VA said when he stopped by one day while we were reorganizing the garage (1982, moved from a 2,500 sf house to 1,400 - couldn’t afford more in that economy): almost laughed his axx off. He changed his tune the following February when we had 30+” (and I got a lot of dirty looks from the neighbors who were using digging shovels to clear their driveways).
Remember a big snow storm in Baltimore in the mid 70's. City was paralyzed for a day or two. But it melts off pretty quick there and further south. If I move to MD, I won't be taking my snow blower, unless I'm way out to the west.

Remember a big snow storm in Baltimore in the mid 70's. City was paralyzed for a day or two. But it melts off pretty quick there and further south. If I move to MD, I won't be taking my snow blower, unless I'm way out to the west.

There was a multi-foot storm in the late 50’s that shut things down for days: I remember getting buried in the drifts above my head (Govans/Alameda).

I have a friend who bought his wife a snowblower for Christmas. He said he felt so sorry for her watching her shovel snow with a lousy shovel!

Over the years I've sold all kinds of stuff on CL here in NYC. I have some basic personal rules. I insist that the agreed upon price is the selling price. I insist on using a payment service like Venmo or Zelle, both of which I need for my pen business. That at least confirms that the funds are real and the transaction occurs. The transactions are usually in seconds, so there's no delay and no cash changing hands in public. I use an email address I've had for years for just this purpose, since most of the "offers" are spam these days; it keeps my real email address from getting hacked and clogged. That works for me!
Tim

Usually I am buying power tools and want to hear it run. Not possible in parking lot.
I bought a 500# wood lathe from a guy, and met at his storage lot. He said he didn't have power there, so I brought a generator along with my truck, trailer and cherry picker.
He was slightly annoyed that I wanted to spin it up, but was happy for the cash.

I always put my phone number in my ads. I’m experienced enough to not respond to scammers and they never want to talk on the phone.

Text messages work well and if anyone is a problem I can just block their number.

Keep the speakers, you’ll never get anything close these days without spending thousands. You wife will smile when you play her a nice record album on Sunday morning.

John

Good luck with the sales, I imagine it's tough going through and parting with your mom's treasures.

Back to back 30+ inch storms in 2013 , 62 inches total . Vehicles in the driveway were invisable . The road in front of the house was 13 feet deep .

Back