Rotary Table Theory Question

For a quill stop for your mill, would something like this work for your mill? The collar has an internal spline matching the spindle spline and a tightening screw. You position it for your depth of cut, you can use gage blocks, endmill shanks, calipers, etc., then tighten it. As the spindle lowers, it bumps up against the upper side of the pulley and stops the spindle lowering. My mill doesn’t have a power downfeed, so nothing needs to get disengaged, you feed until you can’t feed any more.

IMG_1870.jpeg

For a quill stop for your mill, would something like this work for your mill? The collar has an internal spline matching the spindle spline and a tightening screw. You position it for your depth of cut, you can use gage blocks, endmill shanks, calipers, etc., then tighten it. As the spindle lowers, it bumps up against the upper side of the pulley and stops the spindle lowering. My mill doesn’t have a power downfeed, so nothing needs to get disengaged, you feed until you can’t feed any more.

View attachment 504579
For a moment I was really hopeful that this would present a simple yet elegant solution, but I was foiled again. The total quill travel is 4" on this machine, but only about 2 1/8" of the spindle spline is exposed with the quill fully retracted.
IMG_20241003_185417.jpg

That sucks. The hex collar weldingrod mentions might be workable. As long as it can slide up and down while loosened and have a way to clamp it, it should work the same as one on the spline.

Back