Pressure washing cast iron cookware

I took my my in laws nasty cast iron pan and put it in the electric oven while it ran thru self clean.

Pan came out clean as a whistle. Then I went thru a reseason process.

I took my my in laws nasty cast iron pan and put it in the electric oven while it ran thru self clean.

Pan came out clean as a whistle. Then I went thru a reseason process.
That's the easy way. Seems like a lot of people like the harder way! Or they simply look around to see the closest thing that might work, not necessarily the easiest way. But, whatever works is fine.

I recently obtained a few used pieces of cast iron cookware,skillets and plain Dutch ovens,and I want to start all over again new with them.
I already tested for lead and they are negative.I want to get them down to bare iron.Ive used easy off and vinegar baths but I still have remnants of previous seasoning and such,I want to completely clean them and start anew as I said earlier.
I have a pressure washer and thought it would be a time saver to accomplish that goal.
My websearches have turned up everything from,"Sure,whatever dude",to"No,it will collapse into a black hole!"
Maybe not quite so dramatic but I think you get the idea.
Has anyone done this?
I'll most likely try one piece either way but thought I'd ask to see if there is a right way or wrong way to do it.
oxalic acid... try bartenders friend and boil it off.

It comes down to either a physical method (like abrasion) or a chemical method -- high temperature oxidation, lye/acid etc. The method of choice completely depends on what you've got on hand.

There's a relatively inexpensive plasma cleaner, based on a microwave oven, that would do the job just fine. It's called a "plasma-preen". By relatively inexpensive I mean about $8K, not counting the vacuum pump. But nobody in their right mind would buy it just for the purpose of cleaning up a CI pan.

It comes down to either a physical method (like abrasion) or a chemical method -- high temperature oxidation, lye/acid etc. The method of choice completely depends on what you've got on hand.

There's a relatively inexpensive plasma cleaner, based on a microwave oven, that would do the job just fine. It's called a "plasma-preen". By relatively inexpensive I mean about $8K, not counting the vacuum pump. But nobody in their right mind would buy it just for the purpose of cleaning up a CI pan.
How bout the Laser rust remover gun. Only those trying to promote it think it is a good idea. LMAO

How bout the Laser rust remover gun. Only those trying to promote it think it is a good idea. LMAO
I'll bet they do :rolleyes:. It probably removes household stains and improves your sex life as well....or so they'd like to claim!

I'll bet they do :rolleyes:. It probably removes household stains and improves your sex life as well....or so they'd like to claim!
Invented by a Navy Seal who just got tired of seeing the public getting screwed, so he quit the Navy and started his own Navy and_______now is cleaning toilets with his miracle toilet stuff !

Back