2018 POTD Thread Archive

I made a tiny boring bar from some scraps laying around in the shop. The scrap consisted of a 1/4 inch diameter piece of H-13 steel rod, a scrap of
5/8 inch hot roll round bar and a carbide tooth that had a previous life in a circular saw blade. It was a little machining, drilling, and silver
soldering and grinding project. Most of my boring bars are too big for any small boring so this will come in handy when that small diameter
hole needs to be bored. The bar mounts in a C size DTM holder that has a groove in the bottom for holding round materials. This will be handy as
one can adjust the cutting angle to the job at hand. It looks like it will
fit into a 5/16 diameter or so hole. It looks a little long(3 inch overhang) but time will tell I guess. It can always be shortened if needed.

That's what I did.........so far.

View attachment 262315View attachment 262316
I like the sawblade carbide tooth idea. Nice job.

I finally got these done enough to take a picture. I’m thinking grand total on money savings was right around 30 dollars. I had a good time cutting the dovetails with my Ammco shaper. And I have a whole new appreciation for the cost of manufactured toolholders. Ha! Although having done it successfully, I believe I’ll make more, with less mistakes. View attachment 263809
Beautifully done

Not a big fan of the cheap plastic handles that come on many mills and lathes, and my mill plastic quill down feed handle wobbled all over the place. Quick project was to turn a matching handle to those that I made for my lathe. I used a 5/16" Allen bolt for the shaft, the handle end cap has a grooved O-ring which keeps the cap securely attached when pressed into the handle. I use some viscous silicone grease on the shaft to give a soft dampening feel when turning the handle.

Quill Down Feed Handle.jpg

Finally getting back to my project building a power vacuum (previous post: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...d-you-do-in-your-shop-today.14637/post-563750)

Made the frame, mounts for all the wheels, mount for the bagger and engine/vacuum, and just finished with the mount for the nozzle (with two screws for setting the nozzle height).

IMG_1117.jpg

Still to do:
-fashion a handlebar for pushing it
-move the bag inlet to the end (it's currently sticking out the side)
-make a 7" to 6" reducer, to connect the vacuum nozzle to the 6" vacuum inlet hose
-remake the vacuum outlet (it's currently pointing straight up)

The last one serves me right, for having fun making that outlet after buying a ring-roller, without having enough of this vacuum built to determine how the outlet nozzle should point. As it is, the hose can't bend in that narrow of a radius. I bought a 4'x4' sheet of 14 gauge steel to make another outlet nozzle and the 7 to 6 reducer, just so they weight less. 1/8" steel (what I made the nozzle you see out of) is significantly more than what these parts need for strength...

I had to clean up my shop for the next big woodworking project. got a new floor installed in my playroom in the house and need to make new hickory molding for around the walls. bill

The boring bar tool holder that came with my BXA tool post. Was bored 1" and came with a 3/4" adapter. My larger Chinese boring bars are 16mm and 20mm. I made some new adapters out of some 1" stock I recently acquired. Not the most exciting project. It was however a project that needed to be done and leaves me better tooled for future projects.

Continued on from this (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-574681), I moved the inlet port of the bags to the end, also removed the short "adapter" that changed the input tube from 7" to 6" (as I have to fashion a new output adapter for the blower, I'll make it 7" as I've already got the 7" hose). Could have started on the output adapter, but I wasted a bunch of time on getting the wrong size pop rivets (1/4", based on measuring the ones I removed, not realizing they had expanded along most of their length, not just at the end)...

IMG_1118.jpg

So, tomorrow, it's time to make a new output adapter...

Back