2018 POTD Thread Archive

Yup, I certainly did a double take also, when I saw it. Alas, I can’t take credit for the pic. It’s certainly a brilliant idea. One of our local metal heads made it up and posted to our local metal working list. How he made the photo is apparently a closely guarded secret. Thought I would be fun to pass it on...

Yup, I certainly did a double take also, when I saw it. Alas, I can’t take credit for the pic. It’s certainly a brilliant idea. One of our local metal heads made it up and posted to our local metal working list. How he made the photo is apparently a closely guarded secret. Thought I would be fun to pass it on...
it's been showing up all over Reddit as well. :)

The closely guarded secret is called Photochop lol

I made this little do-dad.

View attachment 264119View attachment 264120View attachment 264121View attachment 264122

And a video of the process if you're interested.

Very nice work. I can see an indexing fixture as a future POTD for my Roper Whitney #218 punch press. I have a reoccurring job where I punch a 1" spaced checkerboard pattern in a sheet metal piece about 22" x 8" (yeah, over 200 holes). I currently do it with a taped on piece of graph paper, but this would be a bit quicker. Thanks for posting.

Bruce

Very nice work. I can see an indexing fixture as a future POTD for my Roper Whitney #218 punch press. I have a reoccurring job where I punch a 1" spaced checkerboard pattern in a sheet metal piece about 22" x 8" (yeah, over 200 holes). I currently do it with a taped on piece of graph paper, but this would be a bit quicker. Thanks for posting.

Bruce

Thanks! I love the punch press. If you've got the right tooling it can really turn an arduous task into a pleasant experience.

There is also a video, where the guy turns the piece and you can see that its just an optical illusion. The upright piece in the foreground just has a 45 degree angle cut on it. The horizontal piece in the rear also has a 45 degree cut and when they are rotated to the correct angle, it looks like a welded joint between the two pieces. The angle of the welding helmet completes the illusion. Once you've seen it, the angle cut on the upright piece is obvious.

Back