2018 POTD Thread Archive

I showed the wife the pictures...said "a short trip to Wake Forest and we could have one...."

Guess I think on a larger scale than she does......

Have a secondhand Luxo magnifier lamp that had a crack at the top of the electrical box where the main body of the lamp rides, and in a moment of stupidity I cracked the die cast swivel pin at the bottom. Fixed the top with some JB weld and a wing off a toggle bolt. Fixed the bottem with a 3/8" carriage bolt which gave me enough clearance in the desk clamp to drop in nylon bushings with a little grease so now it swivels smooth as silk. For good measure, removed the cheap screw to lock the main body of the lamp and tapped for a 1/4"-20 grub since I have a stash of them. Back in business!

IMAG0067.jpg

c4f0218945f6d5ea658366f410e7053a.jpg

Finished up dating my tapping machine. I made the machine years ago but wanted to up date my tapping machine after using it the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c4f0218945f6d5ea658366f410e7053a.jpg

Finished up dating my tapping machine. I made the machine years ago but wanted to up date my tapping machine after using it the other day.
I got the same pennys drill stand. Another project in the future. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I

I bought my bandsaw second hand a few years ago. Thought it was about time I gave it a birthday.

IMG_0445-L.jpg

"Replaced" the missing tension handle (which wasn't there at all).
And the vise handle was pretty agricultural.

IMG_0447-XL.jpg

So that got replaced too.
And the T-handle threaded rod for clamping short pieces that dont use the full width of the "vise" jaws was truly rough and ready.

IMG_0448-XL.jpg

Mark I upgrade didn't work very well at all. The threaded rod was too loose in the nut and wobbled around too much when cranking.
It lasted about 3 minutes until I said to myself "there has to be a better way".

IMG_0452-L.jpg

Which there was.

pete

I have also been messing around with the RF30 mill drill. Some things that have bugged me since I got it a while back are the spindle height locking knob and the quill lock handle. Both use rotational movement to engage /disengage or apply a clamp action. I prefer an engagement that's either on or off. Plus the spindle height locking knob hasn't got much space for ham sized fists to grab it.

IMG_0439-XL.jpg

So the quill lock handle (RHS) was replaced with a locking lever (LHS).

IMG_0441-XL.jpg

Down is unlocked.

IMG_0440-XL.jpg

And horizontal is locked. The spring makes sure the clamping "wedges" move apart when compression is released.

IMG_0437-XL.jpg

The spindle height lock was also changed to a simple lever mechanism.

IMG_0444-XL.jpg

Same arrangement as the quill lock, down is unlocked, horizontal is locked.
The mechanism to change between coarse and fine down feed is quite simple, its just friction using two 'cones'.
The black male piece clamps against the silver female sleeve to lock and engage the fine down feed.
I cleaned the mating faces of both "cones" which also helped the positive enage/disengage action.
Quite happy how it all turned out.

pete

I have also been messing around with the RF30 mill drill. Some things that have bugged me since I got it a while back are the spindle height locking knob and the quill lock handle. Both use rotational movement to engage /disengage or apply a clamp action. I prefer an engagement that's either on or off. Plus the spindle height locking knob hasn't got much space for ham sized fists to grab it.

IMG_0439-XL.jpg

So the quill lock handle (RHS) was replaced with a locking lever (LHS).

IMG_0441-XL.jpg

Down is unlocked.

IMG_0440-XL.jpg

And horizontal is locked. The spring makes sure the clamping "wedges" move apart when compression is released.

IMG_0437-XL.jpg

The spindle height lock was also changed to a simple lever mechanism.

IMG_0444-XL.jpg

Same arrangement as the quill lock, down is unlocked, horizontal is locked.
The mechanism to change between coarse and fine down feed is quite simple, its just friction using two 'cones'.
The black male piece clamps against the silver female sleeve to lock and engage the fine down feed.
I cleaned the mating faces of both "cones" which also helped the positive enage/disengage action.
Quite happy how it all turned out.

pete

Awesome job. I really like the mods.

Nice mods! I especially like the fine feed (spindle height) lock. I've been considering giving both of the cones a light sandblast, to increase friction. If I do so, I'll also add your locking knob. Thanks!

2volts nice job. Something else for the To Do list. Have to get something where I can make Metric threads first. Have 3 lathes but nothing to do Metric. Question on the quill lock, What happens if it wears a little and you have to turn it. Just a little to tighten it. The handle would be at an angle then. What I am thinking is a long piece with a round head on one end and threaded on the other, Then make the bottom part of the knuckle where the it will go through it and held in place with a set screw. THen if you have to tighten it you can move it, Release the set screw and the handle would be back where it just drops straight down again.

Back