POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

3" and 4" double wall furnace vent, a heat gun element, forced draft fan...
The fancy copper/black is powder coat. Very dimensional, but not actually wrinkle...
f2253ad0d3d0a68d74f5903c15397c0c.jpg
245431aca09b55b5c296bc2bad967cae.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

That re-defines what the simplest Power coat oven can be. Very creative. Thanks for showing it.

Only one spare Mac?

Nope, not one single Mac in the place! Yes, I run MacOS, but NOT on any form of apple device. Been there, done that with the missus having iPhones 4s and an iPad, never going back to apple hardware ever again given the forced obsolescence and the extreme expense.

I usually have dual or triple boot on my laptop or tower under normal circumstances. Once Ran Macos/Win/Linux/Android OS on the same machine as a quad boot. It was needed due to multiple projects for different things going on, each using unique software. Certainly was a fun two days setting that up. Long since gone now though.

Regarding the handwheel and the bandfile, I find the the roughness from the sand casting a benefit to grip, especially when hands inevitable get dirty whilst working. Apart from that, it will look good when I have done what I ntend to to with it. ;)

Besides, what you call a "band file" I know as a "Finger sander" and yes, I do own one.

Last edited:
I have a number of finger sanders, and the scars to prove it

They are somewhat dangerous if you are not careful. Never had an incident with one myself, although I have witnessed plenty of incidents with other people using them. Trick I use is to lower air-prressure (given mine is air powered) and take my time, rather than use full pressure and remove material at speed. Same with any air-tool. Lower the pressure, take your time. It's almost like using a battery tool that has a proportional trigger control, only you set the speed externally via reduction/increase of air pressure.

Made a vise grip and C-clamp rack for the welding table. Previously the table was the headstock for my grandpa’s homemade giant wood lathe. Approx 6’ swing and 10’ between centers. He made six vases one it, 3-5’ tall and 2-3’ wide. He said that when the tool caught it would lift him off the ground so I don’t want to run it. It is very strongly built. The base, now the table weights over 150lbs and there is 1,100 lbs of steel plate on the bottom shelf. The top plate is dished so it’s not too good for welding, the small cast iron surface plate will be for the precise welding. I got the Athol vise mounted also.
IMG_7284.jpeg
I have the plasma cutter hanging underneath the table. I plan of cutting off the brace and moving it behind the square tube to keep the leads under the table and away from spatter.IMG_7285.jpeg
The red plate on the bottom is 3” thick, volume calculation for the weight is about 110lbs for just that chunk.

That article contradicts itself and indicates that single avocado trees can and cannot self pollinate???

That article contradicts itself and indicates that single avocado trees can and cannot self pollinate???
WHAT! Defective information on the web. You must be mistaken.

Actually I didn't read that article, just grabbed it from a search.
See if this one clears things up for you.

If @wachuko does know, I certainly don't. :)

What's the Avacado male Vs female problem?
New news to me… as far as I know they are self pollinating…

This was from just one branch. Over 90 avocados. Branch broke because of the weight... This was in the backyard of my brother’s house . Tree had over 500 avocados…

7a2482cd-83c8-4381-baf8-10c8bc8d2c6d.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, well, I posted up about part of this previously and mentioned I needed to make a bushing spacer. Check POST #7,563 (<<< LINK)

Finally found time to do that today, so other than trimming the end of the feed screw down and threading it for a nut to retain the handwheel, it is almost done....

Ok, so here we have the bushing, micrometer dial and handwheel. The handwheel and micrometer dial have been machined to take the bushing, but the handwheel also has an o-ring recess for the dial to ride on.

SAM_0224.JPG

Next up, the bushing has been fitted to the upper bearing race washer and fixed to it. then we have the retainer cap, dial and lastly, the handwheel.

SAM_0226.JPG

Here we see the "basic" layout of the cross-slide feed screw with bearing race washers ("A") in place (minus bearings), retainer cap ("B"), Dial ("C") and handwheel ("D")

Anotated.png

Here we see the end of the bushing spacer that is affixed to the Outer (upper) bearing race washer as it passes through the retainer cap. Note how it protrudes a little?

SAM_0231.JPG

The Micrometer dial seats over that bushing spacer....

SAM_0232.JPG

Then the handwheel fits onto the outer end (it will be retained by a nut) of the feedscrew shaft.

SAM_0233.JPG

So, how does that all work then?

Well, the bearings are kept in place courtesy of a shoulder, the bearings being fitted either side. This arrangement is then enclosed within the outer end of the carrier boss which the leadscrew passes through and closed using the retainer cap (item "C" in the above photo).

With that all in place, the micrometer dial is seated over the spacer bushing, followed by the handwheel and here is the interesting part.... The handwheel locks against the outer-end of the bushing spacer but NOT clamping onto the dial, courtesy of, give or take, 5 though of clearance.

Sounds complex, but it is relatively simple. In short, everything is captured.

Once I finish the leadscrew, I will put a full set of photos up with the carrier boss included as that carries a drawn cup needle roller bearing.

I have intentionally been taking my time with this and thinking through each and every stage of the design and build process, often changing things to make them less complicated to turn, make the assembly easier, or to simplify or improve the design. Whilst it is almost complete, there are still a couple of things left to finish, such as shortening the handwheel end of the feedscrew shaft, as well as run a thread onto it for the retaining nut amongst other odd jobs.

Last edited:
Back