POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Did some powder coating... my custom 48" stock oven works a treat!
b38e0b2db49c792ee0113943ccc71875.jpg
What's this finish?

Oooh, do we get to see pictures of your custom/stock oven? (please)
Seconded!

Thread is 7/16-20, on both the 0-2", and 2-4" Eagle Rock Knurlers that I use.
I had to step down to the 5/8 shank Eagle Rock knurler, the 3/4 shank is unobtainable. K1-44-21-0625RE The dimensions otherwise look the same between the two.

I was going to post this last week but my laptop took a dump and I have been stuck either on mobile or on the "spare" MacOS laptop (No, I do NOT own an iMac!!). I finally decided I had enough of that and got my laptop sorted out and up and running again.

Anywhoosle, I finally got around to a little work on the handwheel and dial for the cross slide on the lathe I am rebuilding last Tuesday. Not 100% finished, but getting close to it...

Yes, I machined the front lip flat on the handwheel, no, I have not done the same to the rear lip. It is an ergonomics thing for me that it just "feels" better like this. The groove in the rear boss is for an O-ring that the dial will sit over, stop it from rotating through vibration, but allow manual adjustment. I still have one part to remake from steel (a spacer, more on that at a later date) for the dial/hand-wheel interface to work as intended but that is just a minor job to replace the temporary ally prototype piece. That centre-punch mark on the face of the handwheel is for where a folding rotating handle will be mounted.

I still hate cast iron for the fact it is one of the dirtiest, filthiest, dustiest, most hazardous in materials to machine, especially in airborne particulate / dust form. Yes, I was wearing a respirator and goggles whilst also having the hoover running to catch the chips and dust. Overkill? perhaps, but I value my lungs and eyesight.

SAM_0222.JPG

SAM_0218.JPGSAM_0219.JPGSAM_0220.JPGSAM_0223.JPG

Last edited:
Got the quotes to run power to the shop! Well, at least got two that were fair... moving forward with it! Wohoo!

Meanwhile, getting ready for the storm... planting all that I can since I will not have to worry about watering them for a few days, lol...

Avocado tree

Avocado tree.jpeg

Mango tree

Mango tree.jpeg

and a guava tree...

Guava tree.jpeg

Back