POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yes. I placed a butcher block countertop on it and installed my 9x20 lathe on it...

View attachment 416090
Nice, looks good! I keep thinking about this for my little surface grinder and the tool and cutter grinder. They may go on the same bench/box eventually, they're both similarly dirty pieces of equipment.

Blue is the color of the ones I have coming for the garage. My wife likes blue, and she specified if I ordered the boxes they would be in blue. She actually helps work on cars and other projects, so blue they are!

I have the same cabinet with a butcher block top and it is pretty high. I removed the casters and put 3/4" polypropylene blocks under it. That did the trick and I can still slide it some.
Robert

Pallets are made in serbia, and they are the cheapest way to heat a home, electricity is very expensive, even firewood is more expensive.

So, 4 metric tons, or about 8815 lbs. at 8250 BTU/lb, that's about 72 million BTU. Let's just guess 85% efficiency, for around 60million BTU into the buildings. (rough numbers here). Do you mind sharing the cost (Maybe converted to Euros or USD) per ton?

In our part of the USA, natural gas is cheapest. Followed by a ground or open loop heat pump (even with relatively expensive power). A lot of us do heat with firewood, but have that for 'free' on our properties. Propane follows that, then heating oil, and finally electricity. When I've looked at the numbers, pellets are between propane and electricity historically. If I had natural gas, that would be my first choice. You may question the heat pump. I ran numbers on all the fuels several years in a row before we built. The heat pump was on par with natural gas, except for the higher up front cost (but with built in air conditioning).

With the de-superheater loop which pre-heats the home hot water, running air conditioning in the summer is cheaper than not. That's not intuitive. Basically heat from the house goes into the hot water tank. It's cheaper to move that heat into the tank than make it all from electricity. Yes, turning off the AC can mean a higher electricity bill. Very counter intuitive...

Today I started a big job, cleaning organizing my shed. I work a lot on cars and this shed holds my spare suspensions and gearbox parts. This shed is full of good and bad parts, mainly because i don't have time if i have a part that needs to go to the scrapyard. I throw it in there because i avoid dealing with scrap people. I started with removing the shed door, and moved some stuff out. The shed is about 10m2 and is half way full, i'll have to scrap and trow more than half of it, and probably, i'll have to make a storage self inside to store the rest.
IMG_20220728_193610.jpgIMG_20220728_193631.jpgIMG_20220728_193652.jpgIMG_20220728_193646.jpg

With the de-superheater loop which pre-heats the home hot water, running air conditioning in the summer is cheaper than not. That's not intuitive. Basically heat from the house goes into the hot water tank. It's cheaper to move that heat into the tank than make it all from electricity. Yes, turning off the AC can mean a higher electricity bill. Very counter intuitive...

How much water does it super heat? I spent the money on a heat-pump water heater. Basically the same thing, except it pumps the cold directly into my workshop (where it lives). Granted, I'm dealing with North Carolina's summer heat, not Michigan's, but I can barely tell that the closed workshop is any cooler than outside.

On another note, I'm afraid to even imagine what electric heating or firewood would be like in Macedonia.

So, 4 metric tons, or about 8815 lbs. at 8250 BTU/lb, that's about 72 million BTU. Let's just guess 85% efficiency, for around 60million BTU into the buildings. (rough numbers here). Do you mind sharing the cost (Maybe converted to Euros or USD) per ton?

In our part of the USA, natural gas is cheapest. Followed by a ground or open loop heat pump (even with relatively expensive power). A lot of us do heat with firewood, but have that for 'free' on our properties. Propane follows that, then heating oil, and finally electricity. When I've looked at the numbers, pellets are between propane and electricity historically. If I had natural gas, that would be my first choice. You may question the heat pump. I ran numbers on all the fuels several years in a row before we built. The heat pump was on par with natural gas, except for the higher up front cost (but with built in air conditioning).

I paid 385 euros per ton for this A2 known good palles, last year same month i paid 168 euros a ton. We don't have natural gas infrastructure here, propane gas double as well, it is 3.42$ for a US gallon, Gasoline and Diesel are 6$ a US gallon. Fire wood is 80-100$ for a cubic metre, and the monthly income is 10-20% of the ones in the Us.

Back