POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Made a jig for a childhood friend. He needed to drill out the center rod on these parts…

His first attempt free hand was bad :D you can see the hole in the front, but if you look closely at the one in the back, looks more like a slot... he needs both holes aligned and round so he can slide a new rod... He needs to do this to 48 pieces... Something about fixing all the cabinets hinges and replacement parts not being available...

I had some aluminum and made the jig from that then made a Delrin cap so the part would be secured in place while drilling…

45CBA8E5-53D8-4CF7-A317-17AE7386EF0A.jpeg

It was cool figuring out this one... 5/8" slot made first... then 1/2" deep slot. Thank goodness for having a DRO!!

1067569C-CE89-4A36-AB79-7FD2EB396F6D.jpeg
A169276D-B2E7-439C-9B1E-CC873F508F81.jpeg

Measuring hole location… got to practice with the surface plate and height caliper…

E74C2D33-8DF0-40CD-A262-36BD377B097F.jpeg

Not bad for a rookie… 5/32” drill went right through the center of the rod. I ended up using 3/16” to take it out.

DADE4395-7D85-43C2-89FB-8D0EE4184B7C.jpeg

Finished, packaged, and sent to Georgia…

F52725C9-DBCE-4B41-8406-F27C842A1441.jpeg

And a video I made for my friend… I drilled the final size hole in the video, reason you see aluminum chips…

I was telling him how I made the cover so he only needs to loosen one side and flip over…and that the part is symmetrical so he can insert either way, but I recommend placing them in the same orientation just in case…

Sorry about the music, could not find the option to delete all audio to share…

Last edited:
Nice ....And that's how it's done!
Thank you. I got to practice with the surface plate, caliper height gauge... Lot of calculations to get the correct measurements for the two slots made and then the location of the hole... Very happy that all went well.

I updated the post with a link to a video I made for my friend... I was doing the final drilling for the correct size hole and took the time to also show him how to use the jig...

He does not have a vise... so he will be drilling this on his drill press, free hand. That is why I made it with a big chunk of aluminum. He has a big enough jig to hold it while drilling.

If you were in the USA & subject to OSHA you would be in trouble. Plastic piping is not permitted for any compressed air system. The argument goes somethin like "if the pipe is damaged and ruptures broken shards could fly at high velocity and cause serious injury."
I'm in Europe, we don't have OSHA here :) and much less headaches as a result.

Made a jig for a childhood friend. He needed to drill out the center rod on these parts…

His first attempt free hand was bad :D you can see the hole in the front, but if you look closely at the one in the back, looks more like a slot... he needs both holes aligned and round so he can slide a new rod... He needs to do this to 48 pieces... Something about fixing all the cabinets hinges and replacement parts not being available...

I had some aluminum and made the jig from that then made a Delrin cap so the part would be secured in place while drilling…

View attachment 415001

It was cool figuring out this one... 5/8" slot made first... then 1/2" deep slot. Thank goodness for having a DRO!!

View attachment 415002
View attachment 415003

Measuring hole location… got to practice with the surface plate and height caliper…

View attachment 415004

Not bad for a rookie… 5/32” drill went right through the center of the rod. I ended up using 3/16” to take it out.

View attachment 415005

Finished, packaged, and sent to Georgia…

View attachment 415007

And a video I made for my friend… I drilled the final size hole in the video, reason you see aluminum chips…

I was telling him how I made the cover so he only needs to loosen one side and flip over…and that the part is symmetrical so he can insert either way, but I recommend placing them in the same orientation just in case…

Sorry about the music, could not find the option to delete all audio to share…

Nice job Jaime!

Back