Need assistance with a M60x3 spindle protector/nut

There's a short A12NEL2 threading bar for sale on eBay (4"long) right now for $60. I'm sure there's others. I didn't fully check it out, but that's similar to what I used to thread my set tru back plate at 1.5"x 8 TPI, and the spider at M39x1.5. Worked great.

Another option on a boring bar like Wobbly mentioned is one like this below. It’s 1” diameter with grooves cut to give a 1/2” ledge for gripping in a tool post. You can put any ground HSS blank in there for whatever you are needing to cut. For threading, you can grind your own HSS, or if you can find a carbide tipped tool ground for threading in it. I think I sized this for 1/4” HSS bits, but you can make it any size you want. You want the smallest bit that will work, otherwise you will spend a lot of time at the grinder.

IMG_1869.jpeg

Thanks for all the info and suggestion. IO definitely thinking more so that I want to give this a go myself.

However I stand corrected its somehow a funky standard of 60mm 8TPI threads. I took a little check gauge for threads and found out they aren't 60 degree or if they are there sure seems to be a lot of slop in it.

I attached a few pics or am I thinking about it wrong? i know technically the valley and the ridge is rounded or slightly flat but if i set the angle gauge against the flat of one thread i would expect the other side to be parallel with the gauge but its not?

20241001_131338.jpg

I guess too overall this is for a nut or thread protector so it don't need to be " super perfect" not a backing plate but i guess its worth figuring out should i ever need to make a backing plate as well this is a weird tread setup.

yep I follow or understand the boring bar or tool holder assignment, actually have a squirrely looking half inch one that came in the tooling with the lathe

Just don't have anything for grinding tooling yet (really should) well aside of some more sketchy options like rotary tool/RA grinder

I'm assuming I'm more or less left with find the pitch of the threads, make a tool and holder

Attachments

• 20241001_131254.jpg
    20241001_131254.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20241001_131317.jpg
    20241001_131317.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20241001_131225.jpg
    20241001_131225.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 13
I think those are 60 degree threads, but your gage comes to a sharp point and is not fitting in the thread due to the bottom flat of the thread in the third picture. You should get a set of thread pitch gauges, those would tell you right away what thread form and pitch it is. I have sets for imperial, metric and Whitworth, they are pretty cheap to get and make identifying threads easy.

I think those are 60 degree threads, but your gage comes to a sharp point and is not fitting in the thread due to the bottom flat of the thread in the third picture. You should get a set of thread pitch gauges, those would tell you right away what thread form and pitch it is. I have sets for imperial, metric and Whitworth, they are pretty cheap to get and make identifying threads easy.

Yeah lines up with 8 tpi on the money but angle wise still looks shallower on the spindle. But I guess proof is in the pudding just got to make a test piece probably get a 60 degree cutter and thru hole thread some aluminum to check the setup and DOC

Attachments

• 20241001_144813.jpg
    20241001_144813.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 8
Back