MX-600A 9"x24" mini lathe

Thanks for that @dabear3428 . The only problem with adapters/spacers is they extend the chuck further away from headstock bearings and amplify any runout. I also saw the video on the same post to the guy who installed a Vevo independent four jaw chuck by drilling out the new chuck to accept three bolts. I think I might go this route.
As an aside did your lathe come with a cast iron compound slide as shown in the eBay image at the beginning of this post? Mine came with this rubbish hollow aluminium compound slide:-
View attachment 505972

View attachment 505973

View attachment 505974
To rotate it you have to wind the slide nearly off to access the two bolts attaching it to the cross slide. It has no quadrant to check the set angle and it would be better if the compound slide gib and adjustment bolts were on the opposite side of the compound slide as there would be less likelihood of the slide twisting as the tool bit into the workpiece. That said I have found a cast iron compound slide assembly on Aliexpress that looks identical to the eBay image. I need to sort out the chuck first before I attempt any more changes :)
lol did you read my thread i had the same problem and they discounted my lathe $180 + tax to compensate me. yes i also drilled out the 4 jaw chuck and got great results as i explained in my thread the dividing head that i bought uses the same bolting pattern and the regestere is exactly the same so i used it as a guide to drill 2 holes to turn the 4 bolt pattern into a 4 or 3 bolt. the adapter plate that i linked, i think you can use to do the same thing ie use it as a template and not need it on the lathe.

can you pass on the link to the compound slide, i bought 1 made from cast iron but it will need a spacer to work. also i'm working on a solution to the angle adjust issue just have a few projects in the way before i get back to it.

Hi @dabear3428 I have purchased exactly the same MX-600A lathe and on a journey to modify and improve it. I havelso bought the same quick release toolpost which is working well but the compound slide needs some major work which I intend to do later. My first project however is a quill extension but I don't have an end mill, so need a four jaw chuck to machine and bore the extension to the tailstock.

I too am looking at the Vevor K72-125 but as you have found these are four bolt fixing and the existing chuck is three bolt. I am considering the best approach hence joining this forum as I found your post. Should I drill and tap the chuck to allow the existing three bolt fixings or should I drill a new four bolt pattern on the headstock spindle flange? I am unlikely to use a 5" dividing head without an end mill.

I would appreciate understanding what you did and if you would have changed it in hindsight?
BTW why do you need to extend the quill?

if you try to part anything with the alloy compound you will see it flex about 1/2" and mine almost pulled off of the dovetail, it did not matter how much you tighten the gibs it just bends an alarming amount not to mention that the compound leadscrew is threaded into the alloy. when i called the seller about the fact that the add clearly showed a cast iron compound and they shipped me an aluminum one she responded that it was a superior alloy and perfectly suited/superior to cast iron, to which i responded, please provide me with a RMA and return postage so that they could have their superior alloy lathe back, at which point she offered me $60 back to keep it and i countered with 180 which they accepted in order not to eat the return shipping.

lol did you read my thread i had the same problem and they discounted my lathe $180 + tax to compensate me. yes i also drilled out the 4 jaw chuck and got great results as i explained in my thread the dividing head that i bought uses the same bolting pattern and the regestere is exactly the same so i used it as a guide to drill 2 holes to turn the 4 bolt pattern into a 4 or 3 bolt. the adapter plate that i linked, i think you can use to do the same thing ie use it as a template and not need it on the lathe.

can you pass on the link to the compound slide, i bought 1 made from cast iron but it will need a spacer to work. also i'm working on a solution to the angle adjust issue just have a few projects in the way before i get back to it.
Will do as soon as my posts arer up and admin allows me to post links:rolleyes:

BTW why do you need to extend the quill?
Two reasons. Firstly the existing quill ejects my chuck and live centre before it is on zero mark which is really annoying. Not only because you can use the graduations to control the depth but also it shortens the travel. Also the No 2 taper in the existing quill is quite narrow and as a result chucks and centres stick out the quill a long way so the drill/centre is not "stiff" due to extra leverage. Secondly when drilling there is only about 2/1/2 inches travel if you start with the quill already being 3/4" out the headstock before you start. I have seen a video on youtube where a guy has done what I intend to do. I just need to work out in which order to make the parts so that I can continue to use the existing tailstock to drill them etc. The four jaw chuck is required to bore a price of 2" x 2" aluminium billet to extend the tailstock screw mount by 2". All the parts I need including another 25mm quill and acme lead screw and nut are on Ali Express. I just need to decide and confirm with sellers which ones I need. Once I have had time I will post what I intend to do for comment and others to pull apart :)

Two reasons. Firstly the existing quill ejects my chuck and live centre before it is on zero mark which is really annoying. Not only because you can use the graduations to control the depth but also it shortens the travel. Also the No 2 taper in the existing quill is quite narrow and as a result chucks and centres stick out the quill a long way so the drill/centre is not "stiff" due to extra leverage. Secondly when drilling there is only about 2/1/2 inches travel if you start with the quill already being 3/4" out the headstock before you start. I have seen a video on youtube where a guy has done what I intend to do. I just need to work out in which order to make the parts so that I can continue to use the existing tailstock to drill them etc. The four jaw chuck is required to bore a price of 2" x 2" aluminium billet to extend the tailstock screw mount by 2". All the parts I need including another 25mm quill and acme lead screw and nut are on Ali Express. I just need to decide and confirm with sellers which ones I need. Once I have had time I will post what I intend to do for comment and others to pull apart :)
welcome aboard!
I will be interested to see what your modifications are.
I think that this lathe is a great value being a little bigger and more powerful than the typical 7X14 and not as expensive/heavy as the PM 10X22.
would like power cross feed though. I will most likely get an 14X40 as some point that has those things along with the commitment that something that big brings to the equation.

I will most likely get an 14X40 as some point that has those things along with the commitment that something that big brings to the equation.
That will likely fix most all of the weaknesses you seem to currently have. I've got a PM1440HD (Chinese) that I bought in 2016. No issues with things flopping around BUT @3300#s moving it ...... (Cast iron base!) Mass is good until you have to move.

That will likely fix most all of the weaknesses you seem to currently have. I've got a PM1440HD (Chinese) that I bought in 2016. No issues with things flopping around BUT @3300#s moving it ...... (Cast iron base!) Mass is good until you have to move.
just got finished moving a 2400lb bridgeport, so i know of what you speak!

There you go. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000796363664.html.

I think there are probably others on the site but this has a view of the base and looks like the two securing bolts will mate with the rotating collar in the cross slide. Search for WM210V tool holder and it will bring up lots, some listings with dimensions. I would contact the seller for the bolt hole pitch and height of the toolpost before parting with $$'s ;)

That said there is a lot of slop in the existing rotating collar and I aim to turn up a new one that's a tighter fit.

Last edited:
There you go. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000796363664.html.

I think there are probably others on the site but this has a view of the base and looks like the two securing bolts will mate with the rotating collar in the cross slide. Search for WM210V tool holder and it will bring up lots, some listings with dimensions. I would contact the seller for the bolt hole pitch and height of the toolpost before parting with $$'s ;)

That said there is a lot of slop in the existing rotating collar and I aim to turn up a new one that's a tighter fit.
that is like the one i got from Amazon, you will find that it is too short by about 5mm, it is for a 210mm swing lathe and ours is a 220mm.
but thanks for the link. I have an idea floating around in my head to fix the height issue as well as the issue of rotating the compound without unwinding it.

I got this one from amazon and it is a little shorter on the base, about 7.5mm, my plan is the attach it to a base that has provisions for a locking handle to fix the rotation issue and 12.5 mm gives me more room than 5mm. it is also cheaper.

also notice that there are more gib screws than stock in either of these which has to help.
I would recommend that you build a solid tool pose riser and run that for anything that you do not need the compound for, in my case that is the majority of projects.

Last edited:
Back