Leaking Oil Help

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to preface this by saying I have been working the issue with tech support over at QMT, and they have been more than helpful. But I have exhausted what they can help me with through email and the warranty, so now I am here to seek some help and advice.

The 1440-2V lathe is leaking oil, and I am trying to see where I need to start.
Oil Leak 1.jpeg
Oil Leak 2.jpeg
Oil Leak 3.jpeg

Preliminary steps taken were

1. I cleaned the entire area and see where the oil is coming from. The only visible oil is located at the from right of the headstock area.
2. After a little disassembly I noticed the bolts were loose on the piece where the lowest bar (name?) on the front of the lathe enters the gearbox. One was missing that I had to replace and the others were loose. Tightened all of those and cleaned up the mess.
3. In a span of about 10 hours with no use the oil reappeared in the same spot.
4. The oil in the third pic was after the overnight check. It's the small puddle. The larger stain was from the original leak and some coolant that sprayed out while I was changing out the original coolant system.

The seam where that plate meets the casing may need some gasket material, but I'm not sure how to disassemble down to that specific part to check. I'm not afraid of trying, but before I go down that rabbit hole I'm looking for insight from those more experienced.

1. Any advice on this from those more knowledgeable on disassembly or possible places to look?
2. If it does need broken down, any info for lathe mechanics around the Atlanta area would be great. Or maybe a good diagram? I will check the manual it came with but I don't remember seeing anything on breaking it down.

Thanks in advance.

I wish it were that easy. The black line was after I added some back in after cleaning everything before the overnight check.
IMG_5248.jpeg

The quick change gearbox doesn’t appear to seal up very well

In the second picture, there appears to be a drip coming from the threading leadscrew , as well as a possible missing/compromised piece of gasket material on the quick change gearbox front cover where it interfaces with the lower fine feed driveshaft gearbox cover .

A gasket can be formed from cork , gasket sheet, or RTV silicone if you are in a pinch

I had about ten minutes to work on this before I had to leave to drop my son off at practice so I forgot to take some pictures. But

IMG_5273.jpeg

The section numbered 1, is the cover for the switch assembly that’s activated by the lever. There’s no oil behind there, just a cavity with the wired switch. So the gap circled in yellow isn’t leaking anything.
After a closer inspection, I believe the oil may be coming from the circled green section. I drained the oil before removing the cover plate (wasn’t sure what was back there and didn’t want to spill oil), so after cleaning the green area I couldn’t verify the leak.
When I get a chance I will see if I can verify the leak is there. It’s the highest point where I’ve seen oil but haven’t confirmed that’s not it. It would also explain why the leak slows down at a certain point.

Thanks for your help so far.

@wnchstrtnfldvlle

I see oil in the Kerf the length of the feed rod - Horizontal green arrow.
what amounts to a drop growing - Vertical green arrow.
Have you checked the front and rear of the feed rod collar for leaks - red arrow.

Maybe dry this area up and place a small catch pan or card board under the feed rod collet to see if its leaking here. an oil leak from a single area can find its way to other areas.

Just pointing out this area just in case.

1724124359557.png

Last edited:
@wnchstrtnfldvlle

I see oil in the Kerf the length of the feed rod - Horizontal green arrow.
what amounts to a drop growing - Vertical green arrow.
Have you checked the front and rear of the feed rod collar for leaks - red arrow.

Maybe dry this area up and place a small catch pan or card board under the feed rod collet to see if its leaking here. an oil leak from a single area can find its way to other areas.

Just pointing out this area just in case.

View attachment 500426

Good catch. Now that may be from the coolant splashing episode, but I will dry it off and and see if it reappears with normal usage.

2. If it does need broken down, any info for lathe mechanics around the Atlanta area would be great.
I know of an excellent equipment repair guy in the Atlanta area. I hesitate to list him on HM or sharing contact info without his permission. So if you're interested, send me a PM, and I'll pursue it for you.

Regards

I want to preface this by saying I have been working the issue with tech support over at QMT, and they have been more than helpful. But I have exhausted what they can help me with through email and the warranty, so now I am here to seek some help and advice.

The 1440-2V lathe is leaking oil, and I am trying to see where I need to start.
View attachment 500363View attachment 500364View attachment 500365
Preliminary steps taken were

1. I cleaned the entire area and see where the oil is coming from. The only visible oil is located at the from right of the headstock area.
2. After a little disassembly I noticed the bolts were loose on the piece where the lowest bar (name?) on the front of the lathe enters the gearbox. One was missing that I had to replace and the others were loose. Tightened all of those and cleaned up the mess.
3. In a span of about 10 hours with no use the oil reappeared in the same spot.
4. The oil in the third pic was after the overnight check. It's the small puddle. The larger stain was from the original leak and some coolant that sprayed out while I was changing out the original coolant system.

The seam where that plate meets the casing may need some gasket material, but I'm not sure how to disassemble down to that specific part to check. I'm not afraid of trying, but before I go down that rabbit hole I'm looking for insight from those more experienced.

1. Any advice on this from those more knowledgeable on disassembly or possible places to look?
2. If it does need broken down, any info for lathe mechanics around the Atlanta area would be great. Or maybe a good diagram? I will check the manual it came with but I don't remember seeing anything on breaking it down.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, first of all good luck on finding the leak you have there. I have been down this road with my mill and my lathe. Just wanted to pop in and say hi, since you’re the closest member I have found on HM. I’m not in Atlanta but about a hundred miles away in Auburn Alabama. If I weee a little closer I wouldn’t hesitate to come help

Back