Kurt DX4 or Tegara 550V vise for new PM-833TV?

Yeah that should be plenty for me. I think I'll save the extra money for the Kurt as I like the features it has like the easy to change sized keys and single piece bed (including the fixed jaw).

I can't believe I typed out "loose" rather than "lose" :rolleyes:

The mill is actually out for delivery as I type this so that won't work.

I'm trying to find the smallest vise with the largest possible opening. I'm not aware of any others that offer the same size to capacity as the Tegara or the new Kurt vises but I'm open to other quality options.
Added, If your needing something for plate work where you want to face large areas build yourself a Gack free vise.

What do you plan on doing with it?

Added, If your needing something for plate work where you want to face large areas build yourself a Gack free vise.

I honestly don't have specific projects at the moment, however, I do like the look of that Gack Free Vise.

I won't be doing anything huge though as I just don't have anything that large to work on.

I have been quite happy with the Tegara 440V on my Pm-833TV. The 6" jaw opening is a good match for the table size.

That 2nd image is a 2-inch face mill cutting a miter in a stainless O2 exhaust bung.

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 7
I have been quite happy with the Tegara 440V on my Pm-833TV. The 6" jaw opening is a good match for the table size.

That 2nd image is a 2-inch face mill cutting a miter in a stainless O2 exhaust bung.

Thanks for the pictures!

Have you been happy with the quality of the Tegara? Have you had any issues with it?

I have yet to find fault with the tegara. No slop or lift. It seems to be true. Realize, though, that I have never used a Kurt. I did put on a speed handle.

Everything on that web page looks like nothing but fun, fun, fun.

Rick "keeping that web page open" Denney
I have purchased plans for several of their projects and intend to do them, the plans are great.

I have purchased plans for several of their projects and intend to do them, the plans are great.
Are their projects doable with just a mill and a lathe? I've avoided projects like that because I didn't have a mill, but that problem is soon solved. :)

Rick "doesn't have a surface grinder and not ready for heat-treating" Denney

I honestly don't have specific projects at the moment, however, I do like the look of that Gack Free Vise.

I won't be doing anything huge though as I just don't have anything that large to work on.
This is the 5" PM vise, normally the rotational plate isn't on it, this was a rare moment, it is setting on my 940 table, 9.5" wide in the Y. This is where it normally lives less the rotating plate and it will open 6" as configured and the jaws can be moved to the outside for facing. I like it, quality and accuracy are very good and the price was reasonable.

Mill Vise.jpg

Back