Koolmist tap (well water) vs distilled water

Kool Mist 77 is a surfactant (triethanolamine) and a glycol ether called Tergitol XD that will polymerize with acids, sunlight, and ions in solution. Best to use distilled and mix it a little at a time. I mix a quart at a go in a glass amber bottle, it lasts a while that way, and I haven't noticed floaties in spite of using RO/DI water at 4:1 strength, but YMMV. My water comes from moondrops and trout farts, maybe that's the secret.

Kool Mist 77 is a surfactant (triethanolamine) and a glycol ether called Tergitol XD that will polymerize with acids, sunlight, and ions in solution. Best to use distilled and mix it a little at a time. I mix a quart at a go in a glass amber bottle, it lasts a while that way, and I haven't noticed floaties in spite of using RO/DI water at 4:1 strength, but YMMV. My water comes from moondrops and trout farts, maybe that's the secret.
How do I get those moondrops and trout farts?

No sunlight, dark closet in a cool basement, stored on the floor (cool 56*F).

RO/DI?

Reverse osmosis/deionized. It might be worth trying storebought water if you want your koolant crystal clear, although it probably won't do any harm whatsoever to ignore the spermazoids and spray it into the whirring blades of your cutting tools anyway.

the problem is the spermazoids clogging the fine filter. The holes on the nozzle are so fine that the filter is necessary to prevent the super small holes from clogging. I imagine if I eliminate the filter I'll have to pull the tip off the small tubing and soak it in something to dissolve the spermazoids.

I'll go on a limb with my book knowledge here, and say if you can't easily get cleaner water, you can prevent polymerization by raising the pH of your solution a bit. I'd try a few drops of ammonia and see if that doesn't help preserve things. The typical preservative for glycol ethers is lye, but that will stain your metal. Ammonia will be compatible with the surfactant an not be too harsh on the system. Just a little bit, think windex, barely enough to smell.

Back