Koolmist tap (well water) vs distilled water

Local grocery stores (chain stores) have distilled water. I pay about $1.25/gallon like @ChazzC . I use it for my CPAP machine. Sometimes the stores are out, but wait a week and it's back in stock. I don't need a name brand, just some generic distilled water. Can use it in a steam iron, that's if you want the iron to last!

Local grocery stores (chain stores) have distilled water. I pay about $1.25/gallon like @ChazzC . I use it for my CPAP machine. Sometimes the stores are out, but wait a week and it's back in stock. I don't need a name brand, just some generic distilled water. Can use it in a steam iron, that's if you want the iron to last!

That’s the nice thing about distilled water: unlike “Spring Water” (or spirits), distilled is distilled.

I have a one gallon electric distiller that I use for battery and radiator water. Costs maybe Truth .15 to make. Mike

Truth in advertising, now there's a concept. They should call it dumb water.

SmartWater is about 5X that @ $6.50/gallon ON SALE!)

I have a one gallon electric distiller that I use for battery and radiator water. Costs maybe Truth .15 to make. Mike

Truth in advertising, now there's a concept. They should call it dumb water.

Actually, the Car Talk Guys (Click & Clack) referred to it as “hungry water,” as some experts said it would lead to corrosion in closed systems faster than deionized water.

Actually, the Car Talk Guys (Click & Clack) referred to it as “hungry water,” as some experts said it would lead to corrosion in closed systems faster than deionized water.
I believe this to be true. You want the water to be balanced. If the water is lacking minerals it will try to absorb them, thus be corrosive. If the water has too high a mineral content it will deposit them, thus it will be scaling.

A number of years ago, I worked for an outfit that sold spas and maintain swimming pools and spa equipment. The owner was supplied with a chemical analyzer. You would be amaze at what is your tap water. Most of our water came from well or purified river water. It was on the hard side, but drinkable:cautious:. Chemicals were to be added to the water so it would be a neutral PH. If not the minerals especially calcium would participate out and cause havoc. I had to replace many circulating water pumps.
A further note: one day a couple of city fellows ask for several bags of strong swimming pool chlorine. Apparently, someone had turned the wrong valve and raw sewage got into one of the water mains.:disgust:
We have an inline filter on the cold-water intake to help take care of the particle crud. We also boil our water before we drink it.
By now you will realize that I recommend that you use distilled water.

Could you not add a splash of bleach in there? I would think that would take care of all the creepy crawlies.

Could you not add a splash of bleach in there? I would think that would take care of all the creepy crawlies.
bleach would rust everything. Including my table, vice, hold downs, ways, even the slightest causes a reaction.

Click & Clack, there's a blast from the past. Used to listen to them religiously on NPR. Can't say that I've seen that to be true on my vehicles. I run a 50/50 blend, and have not seen any corrosion to speak of. I'm not a believer in changing antifreeze. Been running the same mix in my backhoe (used almost daily) for over 30 years with no issues. Two years ago I had to drain the system to repair a leaking radiator (cracked lower hose connection) and saw no evidence of corrosion. Reused the same coolant and topped it off. We are led to believe many things that make a lot of money for other people, but to each there own. Mike

Water collected by a dehumidifier is essentially distilled water.If you are concerned about bacteria in the water, heat it to the boiling point, It takes about 1/3 kwh to heat a gallon of water to the boiling point. Far cheaper than buying distilled water.
negative Ghost Rider! dehumidifier has all the airborne contaminates in it that come with the air so the water is full.

Back