Jet 1024P

You are unlikely to find a qctp that will accept 3/4” tooling that will fit on a 10” lathe.
I have some AXA holders that accept 5/8” tooling, they are oversized. I believe that 1/2” is the usual capacity for AXA holders

What seals the oil? I'm wondering why the outer bearing is reading empty as if it has leaked out...
I have had a couple of these over the years. Both of them would not hold oil If I filled it up it would lead out in a couple days. It got caught in the pan so I never investigated it and I eventually upgraded to a bigger machine. I would look under the cover near the spindle nose probably a gasket, seal or an o ring. My axa tool holders are 1/2" Easy fix , square up the toolpost to the spindle remove the screws from the toolholder mount the toolholder on the left side of the toolpost. Chuck up and endmill and crossfeed feed the holder to open up the slot to 3/4". Use the height adjustment on the holder to position the groove. This assumes you dont have a mill on hand

I have almost the same lathe but 12" swing and badged as Enco. My owner's manual lists the 10" version too, and the differences are slight.

Each spindle bearing is sealed inside and outside the headstock with seals that are not part of the bearing. So if the seal has failed allowing oil to leak out, replacing the bearing won't help. It's the seal you need. Dunno if those are available.

When I did a total tear-down on mine, the advice here was to leave the spindle alone, but I ignored it and removed, cleaned and reassembled the spindle, and re-set the preload. Gratifying to have it done and everything clean, but I thought I damaged one of the seals either while dis- or re-assembling. I put a crease in the plastic that looked like it would cause a leak. But now 3 years later it still holds oil, almost never have to add more. I used non-detergent 30 wt.

If you're not as lucky as I was and your seal damage really is causing an oil leak, of course the first hope is the seals are available as replacements. Sorry, no idea if such a thing exists. But if not, maybe try finding the leak and putting it at the top of the bearing. That will prevent oil pouring out while the lathe sits unused at least, and probably slow the leak even when running. No help if it leaks all the way around, but a possibility if there's just one spot that leaks.

Good luck.

Back