Is this still available?

So what do you propose the opening line should be?
I’m interested in your widget? Or how’s the weather over there when I come to look?
It's not the opening line that's the problem. It's everything that doesn't follow.
"is this still available"
"yes"
(3 hrs later)
(8 days later)

This is how >95% of the interactions from my listings go, and I can't understand why people ask if they're not interested.

This is how >95% of the interactions from my listings go, and I can't understand why people ask if they're not interested.
Cause it’s too easy to ask, when you don’t even know if you want it. They’d be more careful if it was a ”buy now” button! Lol

It just occurred to me that asking if it’s still available may be a way for people to keep an eye on items they are interested in.
If you send a message and the seller replies, the sender will receive a notification if there are any listing changes; description, price change etc.
I personally save listings that I’m interested in but I don’t get notifications if anything changes.

It just occurred to me that asking if it’s still available may be a way for people to keep an eye on items they are interested in.
If you send a message and the seller replies, the sender will receive a notification if there are any listing changes; description, price change etc.
I personally save listings that I’m interested in but I don’t get notifications if anything changes.
OK, now that is an explanation that actually makes sense. Now I can stop wondering why so many people are doing it. It really was a mystery to me and I wanted an explanation more than I wanted to gripe about it and you've provided one so THANK YOU!

It's not the opening line that's the problem. It's everything that doesn't follow.
"is this still available"
"yes"
(3 hrs later)
(8 days later)

And I get sick and tired calling about an item, doesn’t matter if it’s on Craigslist, eBay, tractor house or other paid sites, only to hear…. “We sold that” or “I forgot to take it down”.

I don't understand why people get so bothered by this? It is the default question and a legitimate one, as many people neglect to remove postings or mark them as "Sold" or "Pending". What's more annoying is asking a bunch of questions about the item and getting back "sold" or "I've got 3 people ahead of you" or no response at all...

If you are selling something you should expect a certain amount of "Tire kickers" its part of the process...

That being said, I usually say "If this is still available, I can come get it (Day & time), I've got cash and no nonsense".

It’s a simple way to open a conversation.

I will admit though that my pet peeve is those who rudely state “If you ask if this is still for sale you will be ignored!”, those I click on the “is available” just for ****s and giggles and these types always reply anyway.

It's annoying because they ask if it's still available, then go quiet when you promptly respond in the affirmative. My favorite are the tire kickers that come back to you every couple of hours with a question, requests for more pictures, etc, then finally offer you an extreme lowball, even when the ad says 'firm'. I really think that's some sort of strategy.

It's not just FB either, it's anyplace you list, except Craigslist which no longer seems to attract any legitimate buyers, just scammers.

GsT

Just wait until you discover flea markets.

My tactic:

$10 item

Shopper: will you take a quarter?

Me: No, but I’ll take $15.

Shopper: but you had it priced at $10

Me: Ok deal , $10 and it’s yours.

FBMP just came thru for me ! The air handler will be gone in 2 hours to a legit buyer . Got half of what I listed it for , but it will be out the door ! Pizza Hut tonight . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1294.JPG
    IMG_1294.JPG
    628.6 KB · Views: 9
I have a guy right now asking me absurd questions about a trailer rim I have listed, the answers to which were provided in the original ad.

Granted, I used a set of digital calipers to show wheel stud distance and he’s telling me he can’t read even a tape measure, but it really comes down to how bad do I want to sell this item.

I’m asking $15 for a brand new rim that has never had a tire mounted, so do I want the $15 or do I want to blow the guy off?

This is the question you need to ask yourself before ever posting an ad, what is my time worth vs what is my probable reward.

If you’re going at this differently you may need to readjust your sights.

FBMP just came thru for me ! The air handler will be gone in 2 hours to a legit buyer . Got half of what I listed it for , but it will be out the door ! Pizza Hut tonight . :grin:
Did your buyer show up with the pizza hut money?

Did your buyer show up with the pizza hut money?
He did ! 1 meat lovers pan , 1 pepperoni lovers regular crust were consumed last night . :encourage: It might have sold being it's suppose to be 95 degrees here today .

Back