I need help identifying a screwdriver bit type (similar to Phillips)

Julie

Registered
Registered
I was sorting all my 1/4" driver bits and found a couple that are very similar to a Phillips bit.
Instead of being marked P1 or PH1 like my Phillips bits, they are marked PBR2. I know they are not JIS or Pozi bits.
In the photo you can see that the PBR bit on the left has the same shaft size and slot sizes as the PH1 on the right. However it has a flat tip and the slots/groves go much farther past the taper than on the Phillips bit.

Can anyone identify the PBR bit?

1720138205177.png

Watching as I am intrigued... Thought it may be robinson, but then butted up against nothing but air on google.

Just for a bigger Phillips?

That’s how I’ve used similar bits.

John

While looking for something else I found the answer to my own question. I found a Dewalt PR2 bit that looks exactly like the one on the left. It is a reduced shank bit for drywall screws.

It's a proper number 2 Phillips, they just took away the part that's not doing any good for it's application. It's the same as a regular number 2 Phillips, but it's blunt on the tip and it's reduced on it's outer diameter. There's a lot of permutations of Phillips like that, mostly "following" cheaper ways to make screws. Multiplied on every driver manufacturer having their own similar but not identical solutions to the same problems. But the one you have there is definitely a Phillips permutation.

I always use the blunt ones for less slippage and the sharp ones for smaller screws

I have a box full of Dewalt bits that look like the one on the left. They came from a big box store. I find that they don't engage well. I figured they were for some kind of specialty screw. They don't work well with drywall or deck screws.

I had a set of older DeWalt and they had gripper serations on the tip held great and of course are no longer made

Back