I just can't take it anymore

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
:face slap: Ilm trying to get the materials together to hook up my spare air compressor. Made the list and decided to use Home Depot instead of Lowes because Home Depot says they have FREE SHIPPING! Here are the 2 items that they tried to **** me on shipping cost
1/2 in. x Close Black Steel Nipple
THEWORKS
1/2 in. Brass FIP x FIP Threaded Full Port Ball Valve

Pack Size: 1
Valve Inlet Diameter (in.): 1/2
Model #PDB N12XCL

They kept trying to get me to pick up 2 items in the store. But I said if they are shipping the other 7 items why drive to town for the 1/2" nipple and 1/2" valve. So after several times of starting over again checking DELIVER they finally listed all 9 items as shipping. Damn good thing I checked before the final click of the mouse. $38 dollars to ship the 1/2" nipple and $76 dollars to ship the 1/2" ball valve. They are on my DO NOT USE list again. The reason I do not pickup at HOME DEPOT is they made me stand at the counter for over 45 minutes while they tried to find the part they said was ready for me to pick up and their handicap parking is at the entrance door and the exit door is at the very end of the parking lot!

I've been going to Lowes more and more because of stuff like that- although I've had trouble with them too. Took me 3 tries to get
a new water heater that wasn't damaged in the box

:face slap: Ilm trying to get the materials together to hook up my spare air compressor. Made the list and decided to use Home Depot instead of Lowes because Home Depot says they have FREE SHIPPING! Here are the 2 items that they tried to **** me on shipping cost
THEWORKS
Model #PDB N12XCL

They kept trying to get me to pick up 2 items in the store. But I said if they are shipping the other 7 items why drive to town for the 1/2" nipple and 1/2" valve. So after several times of starting over again checking DELIVER they finally listed all 9 items as shipping. Damn good thing I checked before the final click of the mouse. $38 dollars to ship the 1/2" nipple and $76 dollars to ship the 1/2" ball valve. They are on my DO NOT USE list again. The reason I do not pickup at HOME DEPOT is they made me stand at the counter for over 45 minutes while they tried to find the part they said was ready for me to pick up and their handicap parking is at the entrance door and the exit door is at the very end of the parking lot!
I don't blame you for your frustration, that would make me livid. The shipping costs quoted are absurd. How much does that brass ball valve weigh? When I go to the link it says there are 50 available and they'd ship to store, or ship to me, and the website says FREE Delivery. How does FREE turn into $76, for a pretty small part?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this opinion, but I think HD is terrible. It's too big of a store. I'm not handicapped, but the store is laid out so that you have to traverse the whole building a couple of times to get what you need. By the time I leave there, my feet are sore. Most of the times the prices are not that good, and they are not particularly well stocked with stuff like actual hardware. Lowes is only slightly better. Honestly, I like a normal hardware store better for most small jobs. They usually help you, you know service?

But for an online source, I used these guys in the past and had reasonable luck. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/valves.html#ball-valves. You don't hit free shipping until $99, but I wasn't clobbered by bogus fees either. At least this place knows what FIPS means, and potable vs non potable valves. I bought supplies for my boiler from them. They will have the close nipples and stuff like that. Check it out and see if it makes sense. It may or may not, but might be worth a try.

Last edited:
The nearest Lowes to me is 120 miles. I don't use Home Depot as a rule because their prices are generally higher and the selection smaller than our regional Menards. However, for items like the nipple and valve, I often find it more convenient to use Amazon. They are generally competitively priced and I usually get free two day shipping.

I don't blame you for your frustration, that would make me livid. The shipping costs quoted are absurd. How much does that brass ball valve weigh? When I go to the link it says there are 50 available and they'd ship to store, or ship to me, and the website says FREE Delivery. How does FREE turn into $76, for a pretty small part?
They said free DELIVERY, not free SHIPPING. If you live within whatever they define to be their delivery area (10 miles?), they will bring it to you no charge.

I almost never go to HD anymore, Lowes is air conditioned.

They said free DELIVERY, not free SHIPPING. If you live within whatever they define to be their delivery area (10 miles?), they will bring it to you no charge.

I almost never go to HD anymore, Lowes is air conditioned.
Yep but they were willing to ship the other 7 items to my residence and I am not in the city limits. When you drill down to the bottom of the sewage it is not Illegal but Un Ethical. I first heard this from my bank when Best Buy was debiting my checking account repeatedly without my (at least I thought Permission) Seems that the "FREE subscription to a magazine that I did not want was only free for the first year then since they already had my debit card number, they were able to charge me. I kept telling the girl at the checkout that I did not want the free magazine but she repeatedly kept telling me it was free and I had serval choices. This went on for almost 5 years before I caught it. So you can bet your A$$ I will never do business with Best Buy again. I had Home Depot on my $hit list for years after I paid for delivery of a refrigerator and when the guys finally did bring it they refused to bring it up to my porch and left it on the curb. At first they lied and said they came and nobody was home. I had taken half a day off from work just especially because they were suppose to deliver it. I told them that was a lie because I had not left the house all day then they said they came but could not find my house.. I only started using them again because they "DID " have free shipping. I may just say to hell with Home Depot and Lowes and drive all the way across town to Southerland's. I hate cheaters.

I buy all my plumbing needs from https://www.supplyhouse.com/ They have a Grainger level of different products. Most that I buy are less then half the price of the equivalent HD/Lowes fitting. They do charge shipping but they have VERY reasonable shipping rates. If you purchase over $99 shipping is free. Here is a recent order I made with them:

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
1" PVC Sch 40 Tee$0.99 USD3$2.97 USD
1" PVC Sch. 40 90 Elbow$0.72 USD4$2.88 USD
1-1/2" PVC SCH 40 Male Adapter$1.04 USD6$6.24 USD
1-1/2" x 1" PVC Schedule 40 Spigot x Socket Bushing$1.12 USD6$6.72 USD
4 oz. Regular Body, Medium Set PVC Cement (Clear)$6.61 USD1$6.61 USD
8 oz. Clear PVC Primer$7.56 USD1$7.56 USD
Subtotal$32.98 USD
Shipping and handling$4.95 USD
Total$37.93 USD

It was on my door step in 3 days which is MUCH better than I am getting from Amazon shipping these days.

I do everything I can to avoid HomeDepot and Lowes. They both really just suck.

Last edited:
Plus Lowes has 10% off for Vets!
Just ask 'em
Just show them your ID and get registered.
I agree, HD is a real PITA, to cluttered.

THEWORKS
Model #PDB N12XCL
:grin: Should've let me know what you needed , I would have thrown them in the box with the other stuff . :encourage:

Back