I am new here and need help with using a mini Lathe

btw i do have a 4 jaw chuck, so if i place that on the machine are we saying i can take the piece out and turn both ends of the stock with better accuracy?

btw i do have a 4 jaw chuck, so if i place that on the machine are we saying i can take the piece out and turn both ends of the stock with better accuracy?
Correct. It is a great thing to learn how to use the four jaw chuck. You will also need a dial indicator and a base to hold it.

Takes some practice to dial it in, but once you learn, you will be able to remove the part and mount it again, dial it back in, and the cuts will match.

Hello and welcome....

You've come to the right place, keep making chips and work safe. Things can go sideways quite quickly so wear eye protection but never gloves.

Working with aluminum WD40 can really help out, there are other lubricants that work great too but I assume WD40 is widely available, and it really works wonders with aluminum.

Get familiar with measuring stuff. Even if it's not critical, set a target dimension and work towards getting it spot on.

Most of all have fun, you'll be doing things you never thought of before you know it.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the welcome which is appreciated.
I am always going slow and steady and wearing eye protection and no gloves sleeves etc (thanks for checking)..

I think the measurements and understanding the amount i am taking away with each pass is the part that is taxing my puny grey matter but i'll get there.

May I suggest using a live center along with the tailstock

thanks, i do have a live centre, could you explain how that would help in this instance, would it be for the added rigidity?

thanks, i do have a live centre, could you explain how that would help in this instance, would it be for the added rigidity?
Alum. bites. It does add rigidity to the work.

Back