WTB HSS Blanks - 1/2", mostly

Good advice. I might have figured it out the hard way if you hadn't said something.
I empty my pot, so I don't do something stupid. It supposedly fractures it. All the data sheets say not to quench or cool quickly.

edit: Although I do believe you can use flood coolant, as long as you start before it's hot. But I could be mistaken. I don't use flood using these. Only oil. and I don't have flood, only mist.

I empty my pot, so I don't do something stupid. It supposedly fractures it. All the data sheets say not to quench or cool quickly.

edit: Although I do believe you can use flood coolant, as long as you start before it's hot. But I could be mistaken. I don't use flood using these. Only oil. and I don't have flood, only mist.

When I grind lathe bits, I put a finger on the stock while I work so I can feel it getting warm. Then I go do something else while it air cools, and grind a bit more. It sounds tedious, but it's not too hard to do when I'm tinkering and tidying. It's a bigger hassle to remove hot work from the tool grinder, quench, and re-load in the fixture. I try to keep HSS at "straw" color and avoid any sign of blue. It's doable with the right stones.

Back