Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

You need one of these.

iu
we all need one of those. but they are pricey, even the Chinese ones.

You need one of these.
Those little Albrechts are expensive but nice . :) I dropped a DXA post on one I have and haven't straitened it out yet . Another project .

we all need one of those. but they are pricey, even the Chinese ones.

I have both the three jaw and the 1/8” albrecth and they 3 jaw is hood down to #60 carbide drill if I do my part.

Buy once cry once.

Those little Albrechts are expensive but nice . :) I dropped a DXA post on one I have and haven't straitened it out yet . Another project .

But don’t do that.

I have an import sensitive drill chuck. Works OK, but I find I can work better just by sight. Bring the drill down carefully, peck to get a start, then watch for chips and clear as they develop. After a few pecks you're deep enough that you can't watch for chips, but by then you should have the rhythm and pressure down.

GsT

Started off the day by putting my underwear on backwards.

Their elasticky boxer briefs but instead of a regular fly they have this weird pocket looking thing and the label is in the front unlike all underwear ever made.

Didn’t even notice until I was in the heat a bit, then I had to go hide in a corner and swap them around.

FML

I have an import sensitive drill chuck. Works OK, but I find I can work better just by sight. Bring the drill down carefully, peck to get a start, then watch for chips and clear as they develop. After a few pecks you're deep enough that you can't watch for chips, but by then you should have the rhythm and pressure down.

GsT
Could have used one today.

After nailing an external dimension on the lathe, I thought, hmm, maybe I should drill this long deep hole soon. So I tried. Attempt was 3/32" hole 1" deep. Made it to roughly 3/4" deep, pecking and clearing, got a little impatient (most likely) and crack! Broke the bit in three pieces, two of which came out of the hole. Last piece is about 0.075" below the surface. A pin in between the flutes doesn't move the bit. Sigh. Sawed off the piece and will start again... Later in the process, I will have to drill a 1mm hole about 6.5mm deep, going through the 3/32" hole and out the other side, (across the diameter) not looking forward to that. I'll mill a flat, but still, I'll be holding my breath doing the hole.

Back