Emco Super 11

One problem might be that the euro motor has a different mount than what is available in the US, so more work get something mounted. Also I am not sure about the shaft size thing to get the EMCO multi-groove pulley to mount to a US motor , more problems. You might see if you can find a EMCO motor, might be the easiest, I have the single phase 115 volt 2 speed motor on mine and it works just fine. The other EMCO motors are all 3 phase, actually the 115 volt motor is 3 phase but they add a capacitor to make it single phase but at less power than the straight 3 phase motors, 1.3 hp vs 1.8hp. You might go down this idea, get a convertor to make 3 phase, then a transformer to go from 220v to 440v, then you can use the motor that's on there. I think that I mentioned this before, but I have a VFD on one of my mills, that has a 2 speed motor that I wired to the high speed winding, It works ok, but looses power at low speeds, could be because it is an older VFD, I don't know?
that is what i am trying to learn about more.. is the VFD thing.. i am not savvy on electronics.. and though there is some that say that there is a wealth of info on here.. there isn't a gold mine of either..

that is what i am trying to learn about more.. is the VFD thing.. i am not savvy on electronics.. and though there is some that say that there is a wealth of info on here.. there isn't a gold mine of either..

The motor set up for the Super 11 is atypical in that it follows European practices and wiring. That is why I suggested you join the Emco Super 11 Lathes group.io forum where there is a good deal more experience with this issue. Ask about the motor problem there; they will know how to address it.

Seems like way more than should be needed for this size machine.
yes.. i agree, but the reason i posted it was that it was interesting that it would go from 220v 1ph to 440v 3ph.

first thing i am going to do is take the motor to the armature shop tomorrow if the roads are clear.. see if i can get it rewound. If not, then, i may have found a replacement.. it is a single speed 1hp motor, that i am told is supposed to be a direct replacement to the current motor that is on it.. time will tell

Through research, it appears that this motor is a direct replacement

I decided to upgrade my 12x36 to a three phase unit and found a direct replacement. Much easier than fiddling around trying to make something work that wasn’t meant to.

John

Back