Drill Press Vise

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Vise Grip drill press clamp device.

I have one on the table all the time, only removing it (one wingnut) when I need the full flat table area. Routine is to position the work under the spinning drill bit, find the center punched location by 'feel', then position the clamp and adjust to hold the work down and avoid slicing my hand if the workpiece gets jammed. Easy peasy. These clamps are about $15 on eBay - Search for 'drill press vise grip clamp'

Came with a pad to avoid marring the workpiece, or use without on stuff that isn't critical.
DrillClamp_1.jpg

Using an auxiliary vise (such as for round stock) you can clamp the vise to the table with the Vise Grip device.

Worth its weight in platinum IMO.

Stu

DrillClamp_2.jpgDrillClamp_3.jpg DrillClamp_4.jpg

I know HF isn’t your cup o tea Chuck, but if you want it I’ll donate my HF xy vise to your cause next time you’re over here. i think you’ll be surprised how handy it is. I’d still be using it if my brother hadn’t given me that XY RT. I’m not going to be using the xy vise anymore.

Attachments

• C14B0E9B-AAC9-44E0-BC5E-DB33CA2F391E.jpeg
    C14B0E9B-AAC9-44E0-BC5E-DB33CA2F391E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 33
I am of the camp who thinks the type of drill press vice you have is the best. Flat edges allows it to be flipped on its sides and I almost always drill with as much float as I can get on a drill press. With good float a drill will "find" a center punch mark and drills will always follow existing holes so more float, more better. Making helicopters out of sheet metal? Don't use a vise for that, clamp to a board or something. Drilling big holes in steel? Use a mill or something quite strong, we don't want our intestines wrapped up in anything on the drill press.
you could convert that vise into something like a "Float Lock" vise with a little ingenuity, that may be a good answer for you. I have thought of that also.

I have been looking at making a float lock vice like the the one Mr. Pete 222 has on his you tube site
seems to be a handy thing fer the drill press.....

Tony I don't have a problem with most HF stuff. I have bought lots of stuff from them and their stuff mostly works ok for me. This drill press vise is an exception. The big problems are it is too small to hold stuff and it doesn't seem to stay tight. It loosens up.

I was over to the coast last weekend for my granddaughter's 7th birthday party. I am hoping to be back over in 3 weeks. I just might take you up on your offer.

Tony I don't have a problem with most HF stuff. I have bought lots of stuff from them and their stuff mostly works ok for me. This drill press vise is an exception. The big problems are it is too small to hold stuff and it doesn't seem to stay tight. It loosens up.

I was over to the coast last weekend for my granddaughter's 7th birthday party. I am hoping to be back over in 3 weeks. I just might take you up on your offer.
It’ll be here Chuck. Let me know. I’ll even drop it off in faraway Morro Bay :)

Finished up the guide rails this morning. Made the rails out of an old bed frame. Don't know what it was made out of but it was really hard. Didn't want to drill or machine. Used a cut off disc in my high speed grinder to cut the slots and finished them on the mill. Another project done and crossed off the list.

IMG_3927.JPG

looks solid and repeatable set up.
How did you attach the rails to the vise?

I didn't attach the rails to the vise. If I have to really hold it in place so the vise can't move I plan to use a C clamp to squeeze the rails against the vise. I am also thinking about different ways I can use the clamping slots in the vise to hold the vise in place. I'll see how what I've got works and go from there.

Back