Dividing Head Question

I have been looking at the dividing heads that Precision Matthews sells, and thought of a question that I couldn't find an answer to.

Can you mill a part that's chucked up in the dividing head, while you turn it? Or can you only machine while it is locked in and stationary? Take the muzzle brake below, can those ports be machined by inserting the end mill then turning the crank to the other side then withdrawing the end mill? Yes, I know there are a lot of other variables to address with rigidity, and setups. This is just to give context to the question.

Just an example photo.
View attachment 503646

I could also just use my rotary table and then rotate the head of the mill to achieve the desired angle or create an angled setup with the rotary table. I'm just trying to figure practical and likely uses of the dividing head.
I Have a PM Dividing head BS-2, yes it can be turned while you mill on the piece in it. The BS-2 is setup with that being one of the intentions, it can be geared to the mill table for cutting helix, rifling buttons, worm gears etc... It is a very nice unit but if your not looking to connect it to the table I would suggest the BS-0 or 1.

Working Mill.jpg

Last edited:
I did come across an old thread of yours about the PM BS-2. Has it held up well? Have you found any shortcomings that you think people should be aware of? Thanks

I did come across an old thread of yours about the PM BS-2. Has it held up well? Have you found any shortcomings that you think people should be aware of? Thanks
I like it very much, I do want to machine some buttons which means I need to figure out how to move my power X drive to the right side of the table. When I looked at the dividing heads I found cheaper But I liked the appearance of the PM BS-2 and trust PM, I do not regret the purchase at all.

In the aftermath of the ACR program, the OICW program began. There were two main contenders, one design by AAI and its companies, and the other by ATK (with H&K and other companies); ATK and H&K won. ( from the article above )

We had a nice looking gun that worked well . I made the gun along with the 20mm grenades . Someone on here bought the entire lot of prototype projectiles from me years ago and was going to make up a display . Aliant Tech eventually won the final contract based on their " spin technology " of the grenade . Not a good choice as they severely injured some APG employees . TomKro was working there at the time .

Those would be some cool souvenirs!

GsT

Back