Boring Head Sets

From the last picture, you are probably correct. If I were to use that set up, it would be at a very low speed and feed. But as you will notice there are 2 horizontal holes (or one bored all the way through) giving me 2 directions. Let's face it, I doubt seriously that I will ever try that set up. I just discovered it while putting the pictures together, and found it rather novel.

Randy

Sorry, you boys lost me. I have no idea to what you are referring. Would it be possible to get a little more detail? Thanks.

Many of the Criterion heads have the R-8 spindle threaded on. I believe it is 1"-20 thread. If the head was turned on the wrong direction ( similar to a screw on lathe chuck) it could unscrew and be unpleasant for someone or thing in the room if it came off quickly.

Randy

Great! I will have to keep that in mind.

Thank you! ;)

Yup, always best to run threaded shank boring head CW as viewed from the spindle. I've never had one come unscrewed on me, but it can happen.

Hey Pete, it just so happens I did find Criterion's site. I read eveything they had in their technical section. I really appreciate the speed and feed info. you supplied. ;) And just last night I ordered the 2" set from Enco. Thanks gang. Here is the Criterion link.

http://www.criterionmachineworks.com/about_us.htm

Just a question out of curiosity does anybody else use end mills in their boring head for use as boring bars I find that sometimes i put single ended end mills of the appropriate shank size in the boring head hole and index it so that one flute does the cutting works great for softer metals that don't like to shear just gum off, nothing like a sharp carbide 2 flute for removing some material and you have 2 flutes just turn the tool around.

Justin bowerman
JB Enterprise
07 ffl in central Ca. :)

I've done that quite a few times. Sometimes with a HSS end mill, and sometimes with carbide. For shallow holes, I've made semi permanent shorties by grinding back most of the flute, leaving only about 1/8" near the end. This gives ample clearance. I've noticed that when using an end mill in this manner, even if you orient the flutes to put the corner on center, still, just above the flutes will also cut a little. This gives a bit of taper to the hole. That's why I grind back everything above the last 1/8" or so. If it's a blind hole, the less you leave of the side of the flute, the better. On a through hole, as long as you get all the flute through the material, you won't see the taper. Must be that the bar mounting holes are intentionally out of square a little.

RandyM link=topic=2701.msg19487#msg19487 date=1311386397 said:
Hey Pete, it just so happens I did find Criterion's site. I read eveything they had in their technical section. I really appreciate the speed and feed info. you supplied. ;) And just last night I ordered the 2" set from Enco. Thanks gang. Here is the Criterion link.

http://www.criterionmachineworks.com/about_us.htm

Did you get the Criterion or a knock-off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kennyd link=topic=2701.msg19693#msg19693 date=1311548447 said:
Did you get the Criterion or a knock-off?

Yup, got the Criterion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back