An abrasive saw on aluminum

Get a blade designed for metal, negative hook. Positive hook blades will want to grab if you feed at all aggressively. Use wax or WD40 to prevent chip welding to the teeth.

I just cut up a bunch of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. Used a 6.5" metal cutting blade in my in my 7 1/4" worm drive. Tried cutting it dry, and it gummed up the blade pretty quickly. Sprayed some WD40 down the cut lines and a little on the blade. Night and day difference. Cut 100' or better, no issues. Will order some of the wax to see how it compares. Mike

I have a vise attached to the saw. Aluminum id be cutting is like 1-2" thick. Most id do is 4"? I just dont know where to look exactly.

I use my table saw with a 10" negative rake blade for ferrous and non ferrous material and hand feed up to 12mm thick.
I always lower the blade so its just a bit higher than the material thickness.
The thickest I've cut was 4", a failed aluminium casting, WD40 and it was like a hot knife through butter (well not quite but still easy)
The biggest problem I've found is the amount of hot chips that spray around

Maybe invest in a cold saw or find someone who does.
Pierre

I’m reading this and may have missed the answer… are we saying an abrasive saw won’t work? I have wondered the same.

Back