Amazon Prime Rant(ish)

Sometime time delay in shipping is because the package gets sent in a loop i.e. like a ping pong ball back and forth between shipping hubs.
I have no idea why it happens. I track everything. When strange things happen, I take a screenshot.
For example:

Return UPS Tracking 2023-07-10.png

Pretty crazy! It's like they were playing hot potato with my package.
Other strangeness occurs when the item shipped UPS then subbed out to USPS partway in the shipping process.
My biggest complaint is Amazon delivery drivers never knock when they drop off a package (they did in 2020). I have signed up for text notification for package delivery and have yet to receive a text. I've contacted Amazon customer service and still no text on delivery.

Actually a tie for my biggest complaint of Amazon is the lack of packing material. This has been a trend since mid 2021 in my experience. I've used Amazon Prime for shopping since around 2005 or 2006. Cut cable TV in 2005 for various streaming services.

Most items are shipped by Amazon and sold by other vendors, in this case your delivery can be by Amazon or any other shipper in my experience.
The items that are listed as shipped by Amazon and sold by Amazon are usually shipped by Amazon trucks.

I think a lot of the no-name sellers don't actually HAVE the item you ordered in stock - They have to get it first, before they can ship it.
A couple times, I've waited a long while for something to ship, only to have them cancel and refund, because they couldn't get it.
Drop ship businesses need to go away. Don't list something that you don't actually have on the shelf, and don't offer returns for things you don't have a replacement in hand for.

I have had a number of orders cancelled by drop shippers who masquerade as real stores until the truth comes out and they can't get their item delivered at their original price. Again, if you don't have it, don't advertise that you do. Those are called empty promises, and it's one of those things that ends relationships between people when it becomes a problem. I don't have that kind of patience.

I’ve been happy with Amazon. But I’m not a prime member. One of the advantages of being a hobby machinist is that there aren’t any deadlines hanging over my head. I don’t worry about how long it takes, and I don’t pay attention to tracking. While it’s nice in some ways, I suspect an item or two never showed up.
I try to buy from vendors with websites. I prefer not dealing with Amazon.

Tangentially, I used to love EBay for both buying AND selling. But it’s just gotten too big. Nobody leaves feedback. Nobody reads your listing. They just buy…and sometimes never pay, or message, or anything. A lot of times they’ll cancel your bid without explanation. I’ve had bad experiences on both ends of the deal, and sadly, most things I’d sell there are just scrapped now. It’s not worth the effort anymore.

Hey! I just received a package from Amazon, the driver actually knocked on my door! I ran out to profusely thank him.
I'll definitely leave a "It was great" on the "How was your delivery"? email.

Do you think Amazon is monitoring this thread? :oops:

While not all of my Amazon experiences have been good. the vast majority have been just what they said and I expected. Retail stores don't always work out either. I can remember times that I called a store to check stock only to find (after 30-45 min drive) that they either did not actually have it or sold it before I could get there. All in all. Amazon in a major supplier for me. Also a Prime Member.

While not all of my Amazon experiences have been good. the vast majority have been just what they said and I expected. Retail stores don't always work out either. I can remember times that I called a store to check stock only to find (after 30-45 min drive) that they either did not actually have it or sold it before I could get there. All in all. Amazon in a major supplier for me. Also a Prime Member.
same here on checking on inventory, only to find not in stock.
I traveled 1 hr for that one time, and I really hated it. Gas and tolls to cross into PA.

Due diligence goes a long way when it comes to buying anything online.
I try to limit my purchases to "Sold by Amazon, Shipped by Amazon." By doing this, it ensures an extremely easy return process. I bring it to a UPS store, show him my QR code on my phone, and done. I don't even need to box it up, although I usually do put it in the original packaging to make it easier for the UPS store. I have never had an issue returning anything.
If Amazon does not sell it, a simple glance on the right side of the screen below the price will tell you the shipping time and return policy for that seller. Amazon has rather stringent requirements for independent sellers to meet customer expectations.
Since Amazon opened two or three distribution centers within 100 miles of me, I can quite frequently get my items the next day with no shipping cost. Caveat: I am a Prime member.
I follow the same philosophy and generally try to read the bad reviews to see what those folks are saying. I think it is easier to spot a weird bad review that to spot a fake good one...

On August 6, I ordered an assortment pack (5ea) of three different grades of Scotch Brite Pads.
Listing says "Sold by Weupe Retail" and "Ships from Amazon".
Free Prime shipping.
Due to past bad experience, I try to avoid items to be shipped from some unknow seller. "Shipped from Amazon" has seemed to turn out better, usually.
The package was delivered August 15 via "UPS MAIL INOVATIONS" with return address "CTI INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY" in Las Vegas. Not Amazon?
That's NINE days to travel about 300 miles to my temporary location in the Los Angeles area.
WTH?

By contrast, on August 13, I ordered five small items from TEMU (first order from them) from China.
Shipping notification for four of the five items received August 15 and Out For Delivery today.
That's 6 days from freeking China (FREE SHIPPING on a total $40.45 order). LOL . . . I hope the stuff isn't complete junk.
The fifth item was also flown from China and tracking says "Customs clearance completed August 17, 07:10 am". Nothing since then. Guessing in USPS for the final leg.

I think I'll call Amazon. LOL
The stuff you ordered from China was [/i]from[/i]China, but it was in a drop shippers whse in the us.

The stuff that cleared customs was actually shipped from China.

I’ve had exactly two issues with Azon in 15yrs. The last time I *****ed I was told I was being put on the expedite list.

I can no longer find sellers I’ve purchased from in the past as I guess being on “the list” blocks me from seeing them, but all my stuff has been on time ever since.

I ordered a new prop for the outboard on my boat from an eBay vendor in NJ. Here is the tracking info so far.
Shipping..JPG
Apparently, it was drop shipped from the manufacturer (there is a major manufacturer of propellers in Kenosha, WI) From there, it made a trip to the Old South and then to Texas, then IL, and back to Kenosha. I live 111 miles by air from Kenosha, 150 miles by road. BTW, the shipping partner referred to is Amazon.

Back