All I seem To Do Lately Is Take Things Apart

Different world I suppose. I've never known anyone (including me obvs) who used any of the 'deffo-no-no' substances (smack, coke, crack, meth, etc.).

Okay, I was at university at the usual age, so I may have had, in my youth, some passing familiarity with various recreational herbs and compounds but eh, been too old for that nonsense for a long time now. I barely even drink alcohol.

Oddly, I do take a controlled drug these days, and that's the Lisdexamfetamine for my ADHD (and there's the explanation why I never found speed any use at uni, right there; it just made me more normal!:grin:).

My nephew took a liking to pills which lead to heroin, first snorting then injecting, I had to cut him out of my life for a few years as his BS was just too much. Him and his buddies are mostly cleaned up and doing well.

I messed around in my youth, but there was always a line I wouldn't cross.

Well, the saw in the first post is now at its new home cutting lumber from a portable sawmill to length. I transported it to a friend's farm Wednesday, reassembled it and put it to work.

Today's project is to reassemble the drill press and remount it on the bench in the new garage at the family cottage.

Now that there's room in the shop for the new 14" radial arm saw I'll start reassembling it this coming week. At this point all the work benches and formerly free floor space are covered with pieces and parts of the saw. It's like walking through an obstacle course trying to get from one machine to the next.

I'm starting to make some progress cleaning up old projects, but there's still a long way to go. Monday I'll be picking up the MEP-002A military generator and transporting it to the garage at home. It will be taking up the bay where I normally park my truck. Hopefully I can get it up and running before the snow flies.

Well, the saw in the first post is now at its new home cutting lumber from a portable sawmill to length. I transported it to a friend's farm Wednesday, reassembled it and put it to work.

Today's project is to reassemble the drill press and remount it on the bench in the new garage at the family cottage.

Now that there's room in the shop for the new 14" radial arm saw I'll start reassembling it this coming week. At this point all the work benches and formerly free floor space are covered with pieces and parts of the saw. It's like walking through an obstacle course trying to get from one machine to the next.

I'm starting to make some progress cleaning up old projects, but there's still a long way to go. Monday I'll be picking up the MEP-002A military generator and transporting it to the garage at home. It will be taking up the bay where I normally park my truck. Hopefully I can get it up and running before the snow flies.
pics? I don't believe you. ;)

No pics until at least next weekend. We worked all day Wednesday and part of the day Thursday getting the saw assembled and in place.

The remainder of Thursday and Friday were spent trying to reassemble the drill press. I didn’t have all the tools needed so I disassembled it further and brought the head casting back to the shop this morning. I’m burned out after having several of those days GrifterGuru mentioned in his post.

I’m taking the rest of the day off hoping tomorrow will start out better. It’s going to be a busy week. There’s plenty of yard work to catch up on at home including mowing, fertilizing, and tree trimming, In addition the plan is to pick up the generator tomorrow and put it in the garage

Wednesday or Thursday we’re going back to the cottage to repair a couple retaining walls, put new treads on one of the staircases, power wash the deck, and fertilize the lawn.

If time allows I’ll go over to the barn and get some pics of the sawmill and the radial arm saw.

Things are finally starting to come together. I spent Sunday and Monday reassembling the new radial arm saw in the shop. There's still a way to go, but at least I'm making progress. Right now, there are so many parts laying around it's nearly impossible to find a place to get a decent picture. I have parts for the saw, drill press, and a few other projects in progress filling up just about every square inch of bench and floor space. The next big step with the saw is to lift the overarm and attach it to the column.

I'm guessing the overarm weighs about 250 lbs. so, it's a bit more than I can carry around. I moved it to the shop with a refrigerator dolly and layed it on the floor under the 1,760 lb. electric hoist. We're heading back to the cottage today to finish up a few projects there. When we get back Sunday, I'll lift the overarm with a couple lifting straps and attach it to the column. That should be the last large part that needs to be installed before I can install and wire the motor. About the only thing left then will be to downsize the table, install it on the bed and make the necessary adjustments.

This is the hoist I'm using:

On another front I finally picked up my latest project (the military generator) yesterday. I used the new crane to load it in the trailer. I must admit I was pleased as to the crane's performance. I had it set to the 1,000 lb. length as it needed the length to clear the trailer fenders. I was a bit nervous thinking they probably overrated the crane's capacity, and it might just collapse under the 960 lb. weight of the generator.

As it turned out the generator was perfectly balanced using the built in lifting eye, and the crane easily picked it up, rotated it into the bed, and lowered it with no problems. As usual I was so busy doing the job that I forgot to stop and take some pictures. The trailer and generator are now sitting in the garage taking up almost one entire bay. The next step (next week) will be to pull the trailer out of the garage, unload the generator and place it on a couple 1,000 lb. capacity moving dollies. Then it will take up about 1/4 of the room and be accessible to work on.

Here are a few pictures of the generator as it sits in the garage today:

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
pics? I don't believe you. ;)
Here are the pics as requested. The sawmill is a Frontier OS31 which is supposedly capable of cutting logs up to 31" in diameter. The one in the pictures runs around $14,000.00. The base model is a bit less than $5,000.00 but doesn't include things like the wheels and suspension, leveling feet, log turner, blade lubricator, and just about any other accessory that would be needed to actually run it.

The old radial arm saw from my shop is setting in the background. Scattered throughout the barn are several stacks of wood drying. From what I understand they've cut up some pine, white oak, elm, hickory, and ash.

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 19
The 14” Delta radial arm saw is in the shop and completely reassembled except for the table. As you might recall it has a 48” x 72” table that was part of a built in bench/saw table. The table is much too large for the current location.

It appears the table that came with the saw was a multiple piece affair with different width boards to allow the fence to be set in multiple locations. The current table is only 3 pieces making the minimum depth from the front of the table to the fence 36”, and the maximum of 48”. I can barely make the 48” even standing on my toes. 36” is better but still not optimal.

I’m thinking I need to either rip the current table into smaller width strips like the original or start over with new material. I’m also thinking I need to narrow the width to between 4’ and 5’ rather than leave it at the current 6’

Any suggestions from experienced radial arm saw users would be appreciated.

My saw had multiple pieces so I can vary the fence. I did make use of it. But its so long ago I don't remember how often. It won't affect anything really so good to have that option.
as far as the width, as long as it doesn't droop, you can do whatever you want. Once it droops y ou have to fix it.

Hard to tell but it doesn't look like the saw itself tracks out to 48". I'd want the table depth to extend out about the length of the saw arm/track. If I was trying to fit a radial arm saw in limited space I think having some "saw horses" that are the height of the table is more useful than a long table. A guy could make some telescoping supports but there's always a board that's too long.

Back