1962 Austin Healy Sprite

Yes, goals....

I have very limited space where I live, and a spouse that disdains clutter.

So, I'll either get it done or move it on to the next owner. Fortunately, the body structure itself is solid, really just the floors need to be replaced. Also, my preference with vintage cars is for the "survivor" look. Oxidized paint is okay with me and the interior can be spartan. I'll go to some shows but that's not really my interest. Just want something to tinker with and drive down the coast on Sunday....

John

One of the (car) fish that got away in my life, was a frog eye Sprite that a coworker almost gave away to another coworker. My first car was a Triumph TR4A, and later a TR6, and I've always had a soft spot for a nice British sports car.

A few years on, I rebuilt a Mazda 12A rotary for a RX7. Found a Racing Beat exhaust and Holly 460 4 barrel carb intake manifold, and slammed it all together. Added a "street port"; rotary's are like two strokes: small changes in port size, have a large effect in the intake/exhaust event timing. So I "ported" the side housings, and the engine ran GREAT.

Ever since, one of my bucket list projects was to slam a rotary into a small British sports car. I still haven't given up hope. I'm jealous of your Sprite here, because it would be an awesome candidate for such a project!

One of the (car) fish that got away in my life, was a frog eye Sprite that a coworker almost gave away to another coworker. My first car was a Triumph TR4A, and later a TR6, and I've always had a soft spot for a nice British sports car.

A few years on, I rebuilt a Mazda 12A rotary for a RX7. Found a Racing Beat exhaust and Holly 460 4 barrel carb intake manifold, and slammed it all together. Added a "street port"; rotary's are like two strokes: small changes in port size, have a large effect in the intake/exhaust event timing. So I "ported" the side housings, and the engine ran GREAT.

Ever since, one of my bucket list projects was to slam a rotary into a small British sports car. I still haven't given up hope. I'm jealous of your Sprite here, because it would be an awesome candidate for such a project!
The Sprite should be a rewarding project for Mathewsx

My bucket list includes finishing body work/paint and getting my Pontiac powered 84 RX 7 back on the road.

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of Datsun A series motors today. An A12 in pieces and an A14 complete. They both came with 4 speed transmissions.

IMG_5265.jpeg
IMG_5264.jpeg

John

That will be a great engine swap.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back