1962 Austin Healy Sprite

With the MK2 Sprite they do share parts with the MG Midget, so spares are relatively easy to acquire.

Not 100% on everything that is common between the two as it has been a goodly number of years.

When the body style was changed to the square rear wheel fender sprites and midgets are identical except for the trim. All parts are interchangeable. They are commonly referred to as Spridgets.

Just picked up the windscreen and various other bits from the seller.

He has quite a few of these cars so anything I’m looking for I’ll probably ask him first.

Parts availability is definitely something I took into consideration with this project. Also, since there are so many of these cars out there it’s not a problem swapping something different in if it fits. Value isn’t something to worry about with non original pieces.

My goal is too keep everything as stock as possible but if the engine is frozen I may take a different path. Time will tell, first I need to get the garage cleared out so I can bring it home.

John

Should be Twin 1 1/4" SU carbs for 948cc and 1048cc engines of the mk2 sprite.

Bugeye ran 1 1/8" SU's

Yes, SU carbs. I’m quite familiar with them.

John

Oh man… love the looks of those cars. But that one looks like a heck of a lot of work ahead.

In for the updates! :)
Yes, but all project cars are a lot of work. I measured my garage and it’s just a little to small for a 911 GT3 so I’ll have to settle for a $500 Spridget project.

I previously had a Triumph TR4 and Herald. Did the restoration thing on the TR with an English ExPat who knew more about these cars than anyone I’ve ever met. I did an apprenticeship with him on my car and much later he had me helping out with the Morgans he was known for working on. I still have the one alloy panel he had to replace on his clients Lotus 11 vintage racer he rebuilt after the owner took all four corners out at Monterey Historic. Customer didn’t want any new metal on that one….

My goal with this car is a driver. Replace the floors, sort the mechanicals and leave it looking pretty much as is. The seller called me up today and gave me the rest of the parts to make it complete. I can do this one little by little and should have it back on the road by next spring. I’ll improve it as I see fit but my aspirations are modest, just want to be able to drive it down to the village for a pint, or cruise along the coast on a sunny day.

“Simplify and add lightness”

Colin Chapman

My comment is from someone with no experience in these cars. You do have the expertise, so happy, that for you, it will be something easy to repair/restore and have it on the road that quickly.

I have never attempted bodywork repairs…soon I will have to learn if I ever want to finish my 912.

I had planned to have my midget on the road within a year or two. Life events got in the way. Still hoping to have it running by next summer. Said the same thing last year. Keep us posted on your progress.

Back